Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1276534.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 04:25:05.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Bassetlaw (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 80680 69391


SK 86 NW MARNHAM CHURCH LANE Low Marnham (south side)

6/37 Church of 1.2.67 St. Wilfrid

G.V. I

Parish church, now redundant. C13, C14, C15, C19, restored 1846. Dressed coursed rubble and ashlar. Slate roofs. Buttressed. Plinth to all but the south aisle. Tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, north chapel and chancel. Diagonally buttressed 2 stage tower with moulded plinth band and bands. 2 remaining crocketed pinnacles to the once embattled parapet with 2 gargoyles to the north and south sides. Arched 3 light west window with cusping and hood mould. In the belfry are 4 arched openings each with 2 lights and a hood mould. There are 3 small rectangular stair lights and single clock faces to the north, south and west sides. The west wall of the north aisle has a single arched C14 3 light window with cusped curvilinear tracery and hood mould. The diagonally buttressed north aisle has 5 qargoyles and 4 C15 3 light windows under flat arches and with moulded surrounds. Between the western most pair is a 4 centred C15 arched doorway with moulded surround and wooden door. The east wall of the north chapel has a single similar 3 light window. The C15 clerestorey has a single traceried window with 3 cusped lights under a flat arch. To the left are 3 windows each with 3 arched lights under a flat arch. There are 5 gargoyles. The diagonally buttressed east end has a heavy moulded plinth band with a string course running over which extends around the north and south sides. There are 2 gargoyles. The arched 3 light window has cusped panel tracery and a hood mould. The south chancel wall has a single arched and traceried 2 light window with cusping. To the left is a C19 doorway and further left a single C14 window with 2 cusped lights and single transom under a flat arch with hood mould and decorated label stops over. The east wall of the south aisle has a single C14 3 light arched, traceried and cusped window with hood mould. Running under is a string course which extends around the south wall. The gabled angle buttresses of the south aisle are decorated with blind tracery. There is a single C15 3 light traceried and cusped window under a flat arch with hood mould over. To the left is the C19 porch with single ridge cross and entrance with slim columns and moulded capitals supporting the moulded arch with hood mould and head label stops over. The inner C14 ogee arched doorway with heavily moulded surround has a C19 hood mould and head label stops. Left of the porch is a single similar C15 2 light window. There are 2 gargoyles. The west wall has a single arched and cusped light. The clerestorey corresponds to the north. Interior. 3 bay C13 nave arcades. The south arcade columns have octagonal cores surrounded by 4 detached shafts. The capitals are decorated with crocket and other leaves, those of the east and west have plain moulded capitals, and support double chamnfered arches with hood mould and label stops to the north side. The north arcade has round columns and keeled responds all with moulded capitals supporting double chamfered arches with hood mould and label stops over to north and south sides. The C13 double chamfered chancel arch is supported on keeled columns with moulded capitals and has a hood mould over. The inner arch of the double chamfered tower arch is supported on corbels. The 2 bay C13 chancel north chapel arcade has a single column with half octagonal core surrounded by 4 detached shafts. The capitals are decorated with crocket and other leaves. The circular responds have moulded capitals. These support double chamfered arches with hood moulds to north and south. The south chancelwall has a chamfered arched tomb recess with hood mould over. The south wall of the south aisle has an arched and cuspedpiscina and a moulded arched aumbry. In the north west corner of the nave wall is a small carved head. The chancel roof is supported on C19 corbels. In the south chancel is a monument to Ann Cartwright, 1804, and a further monument to Catharine Cartwright, 1799, decorated with an urn on the crown and a crest on the apron. The north nave wall has a monument to Mary Owtram, 1778. The south aisle wall has a fine and elaborate monument to Edm. Nicholson, 1693, decorated with cherubs and urn on the crown and crest and skull on the apron. The tablet is flanked by carved drapery. A further fine monument to William Cartwright, 1748, is decorated with an urn on the crown and flora and crest on the apron. The north aisle wall has remnants of a fine C17 monument decorated with 2 skulls on the apron. There are several C18 and C19 floor slabs, some to the Cartwright family. In the north aisle is a hatchment dated 1749 and a fragment of C15 stained glass depic ting a saint.

Listing NGR: SK8067869393


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10216/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terence G. Onyon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].