CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1276839
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1276839.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:42:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Middleton Stoney
National Grid Reference:
SP 53108 23252

Details

SP52SW MIDDLETON STONEY

5/109 Church of All Saints 07/12/66

GV II*

Church. Mid C12, late C12, early C13, C14 and C15; restored and partly rebuilt 1858 by S.S. Teulon and 1868 by G.E. Street. Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; Stonesfield-slate and sheet-metal roofs. Chancel, aisled nave, south porch, west tower, south-east vestry and north-east mausoleum. Mid C12 slated chancel has a string course, ornamented with dogtooth, and retains a round-headed lancet to north; to south is a 3-light Decorated window, and to east a 5-light window with tracery by Teulon in a C14 opening with head stops to the hood. Vestry, extending south aisle to east, is by Street. South aisle, with a deep moulded parapet, has 2 square-headed 3-light windows (one a restoration). The large porch with a similar parapet has a late-C12 entrance arch with engaged shafts carrying a heavy roll moulding; the large plank door is ancient, and the porch shelters a fine mid C12 doorway, richly ornamented with chevron and with a carved tympanum. Rebuilt north aisle has a re-used late C12 doorway with engaged shafts and early stiff-leaf capitals. It extends eastwards to the Jersey Mausoleum of 1805, built as a transept with a tall gable flanked by diagonally-set pinnacles; the north window was "Normanised" by Teulon with plate tracery. C15 clerestory has square-headed, 2-light, traceried windows. West tower was rebuilt by Teulon retaining lancets at the third stage and the early-C13 arcaded fourth stage incorporating bell-chamber openings; lower 2 stages have clasping buttresses. Interior: chancel is internally C19 with an elaborate stone, marble and tile reredos plus a traceried double piscina; arch-braced C19 roof has pierced cusping. A C19 chevron-ornamented archway on the north leads to the Jersey Mausoleum. Pointed Transitional chancel arch has clustered responds with leaf capitals, and the arch has a dogtooth band between 2 wide rolls. 3-bay north arcade is of similar date and style, with circular columns, square capitals and a variety of leaf ornament. South aisle has a 2-bay C14 arcade, with an octagonal column and moulded capital, plus an unmoulded pointed arch to east. Tower arch is probably mostly C19. Arcaded oak chancel furnishings plus low stone screen and pulpit are by Street. C14 octagonal font, carved with window tracery and considerably cut down, stands on an octagonal stem carved with a long inscription beginning "THIS FONTE CAME/FROM THE KINGS/CHAPEL IN ISLIPP..." and claiming that Edward the Confessor was baptised in it. Monuments in the chancel include 2 Baroque cartouches commemorating members of the Offley family, and a brass to Elizabeth Harman (died 1607). The Jersey Mausoleum contains elaborate late-C18 and C19 marble memorials, and has painted heraldry on the walls and ceiling plus a patterned marble floor. (V.C.H.; Oxfordshire, Vol.VI, pp.248-50; Buildings of England; Oxfordshire, pp.701-2).

Listing NGR: SP5310823252

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
408301
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 701-2
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1959), 248-50

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/10766/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Tresise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].