THE STABLES, THE OLD CHAPEL AND THE REMAINS OF THE CHAPEL, WALLS ENCLOSING STABLEYARD, COACH HOUSE AND GREENHOUSE TO MIDFORD CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1277080

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1956

Statutory Address: THE STABLES, THE OLD CHAPEL AND THE REMAINS OF THE CHAPEL, WALLS ENCLOSING STABLEYARD, COACH HOUSE AND GREENHOUSE TO MIDFORD CASTLE, MIDFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE STABLES, THE OLD CHAPEL AND THE REMAINS OF THE CHAPEL, WALLS ENCLOSING STABLEYARD, COACH HOUSE AND GREENHOUSE TO MIDFORD CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1277080 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2019 at 10:43:33.

Location

Statutory Address: THE STABLES, THE OLD CHAPEL AND THE REMAINS OF THE CHAPEL, WALLS ENCLOSING STABLEYARD, COACH HOUSE AND GREENHOUSE TO MIDFORD CASTLE, MIDFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Southstoke

National Grid Reference: ST 75954 61374

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 76 SE SOUTH STOKE MIDFORD ROAD (north side)

7/187 The Stables, The Old Chapel and the Remains of the Chapel, Walls 1.2.56 enclosing the Stableyard, Coach- house and Greenhouse to Midford G.V. Castle

II*

Gothick style Stables, coach-house, chapel, stableyard and greenhouse; now 2 cottages (The Stables and The Old Chapel) with adjacent remains of the chapel, the converted coach-house and the greenhouse. Circa 1810 for the Conolly family of Midford Castle (q.v.). The Stables and The Old Chapel now occupy the former stables and represent the main part of the group: Ashlar with a slate roof behind an embattled parapet and octagonal terracotta chimneys on ashlar stacks. 2 storeys. Central round headed archway with plank doors; flanked by 2 narrow buttresses with off-sets and pinnacles; 2-light casement window above with Y-tracery in moulded mullions and surrounds and under dripmoulds; diamond glazing pattern. Flanking the archway are the 2 cottages each with 2 pointed Gothick style windows, which have lozenge pattern glazing under a fanlight; single square headed window under an enriched lintel on first floor; blocked central doorways with thin ribs of an arcade and a quatrefoil light over; angle buttresses at the corners with off-sets and pinnacles; moulded string runs across whole facade. To the rear and at the north-east corner of the Old Chapel is the tower of the former chapel: coursed rubble with freestone dressings; 2 stage tower with angle buttresses, pinnacles and an embattled parapet; Y-tracery windows to clock stage with circular lights over; cupola with ball finial and windvane; the east side has a projecting gabled porch with the Conolly arms carved on the face. From the tower the ruins of the chapel extend to the north: walls ranging from 12 to 5 feet high with a 2-light decorated style window adjoining the tower. The stableyard is enclosed by linking walls between the cottages, the chapel, the coach-house and the greenhouse. The former coach-house has an ashlar gable end with 2-light windows on the ground floor and a round-headed loft door above. To the north is the greenhouse: embattled parapet, clasping end buttresses with obelisk finials; 4 pointed windows and a central pointed doorway. (Country Life, 3.III.1944., 1O.III.1944.).

Listing NGR: ST7595461374

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 407840

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 3 March, (1944)
'Country Life' in 10 March, (1944)

End of official listing