ST JOHN'S LODGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1277478
Date first listed:
05-Feb-1970
Statutory Address:
ST JOHN'S LODGE, INNER CIRCLE, REGENT'S PARK NW1
Statutory Address:
ST JOHN'S LODGE, REGENT'S PARK NW1

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1277478.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2021 at 10:35:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST JOHN'S LODGE, INNER CIRCLE, REGENT'S PARK NW1
Statutory Address:
ST JOHN'S LODGE, REGENT'S PARK NW1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 28222 82794

Details

TQ 2882 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER INNER CIRCLE, REGENT'S PARK, NW1 25/1 St John's Lodge 5.2.70 G.V. II* Villa. 1818-19 by John Raffield for C A Tulk; alterations by Decimus Burton 1831-32 (for Lord Wellesley);with extended wings, entrance screen and attic storey and interior redecoration, by Charles Barry with Ambrose Poynter 1846-48 (for the banker Isaac Goldsmith); further interior alterations and decoration for the 3rd Marquis of Bute 1892-c1895 by R Weir with H W Londsdale and landscaping by Weir Schultz. One of the four surviving villas in Nash's Regent's Park layout. Stucco; slate roof. Grecian villa elaborated as Italianate "casina" by Barry. Barry's wings extend to form east entrance forecourt. 2 and 3 storeys. 5 windows wide, with 3-bay entrance front between wings and west front with central bow. Ground floor and entrance screened by colonnaded loggia developed as large Venetian porch to centre, framed by panelled piers with pediment overall rising into upper floors. Architraved and corniced 1st floor windows in slightly advanced flanking bays and 2 windows to centre in attic storey. Main cornice over 2nd floor and attic cornice and blocking course. The boldly modelled l½ storey former library and ballroom wings are channelled; with Venetian windows to their east ends, relief panels above impost string to corners and circular bust-niches in spandrels; impost string returned below blind consoled oculi to sides; plinth and bold crowning cornice with urn-capped dies to parapet. The west front has original (but heightened) giant pilastered bow to centre, with architraved windows. Interesting interior, despite alterations, with elements of Raffield's work (Soanian vestibule) but principally Barry's and Poynter's, in rich Cinquecento style, the ballroom frescoed grotesques obliterated but Poynter's chimneypiece and the double doors intact; central saloon-hall with galleries by Barry but unfinished frescoes of the signs of the Zodiac by H W Londsdale who also elaborated painted decoration of central rooms for Lord Bute; Weir Schultz staircase and library annexe (his circular chapel demolished); etc. The formal "Dutch" or "Old English" garden on the entrance axis east of the wings may be part of Weir Schultz's landscaping for Lord Bute. Country Life; July 11 1968.

Listing NGR: TQ2822282794

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
406803
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 11 July, (1968)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 17 Greater London

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16325/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].