This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Building D6 at Boots Factory Site

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: Building D6 at Boots Factory Site

List entry Number: 1278028


Building D6 at Boots Beeston Factory Site, Dunkirk Industrial Estate, 1 Thane Road, Nottingham

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: City of Nottingham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Broxtowe

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1987

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Apr-2013

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 429350

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Industrial building known as the Boots Factory D6 (dry processes) building, constructed for the Boots Pure Drug Co. in 1938 and designed by Sir Evan Owen Williams.

Reasons for Designation

Building D6 at the Boots factory site, erected in 1935-8, to the designs of Sir Evan Owen Williams, is listed at Grade l for the following principal reasons:

* Architectural Interest: it is of international interest and is widely regarded as the most significant icon of British Modernism;

* Architect: it was designed by Williams, one of the most influential and innovative engineering architects of the C20;

* Historic Interest: it is an outstanding example of reinforced concrete engineering, with unprecedented 9 metre cantilevers in the single-storey wings;

* Group Value: strong group value with Buildings D10, listed at Grade l, D90, listed at Grade ll*, and D34, listed at Grade ll.


Jesse Boot, son of John Boot, of the Boots Pure Drug Co., now Boots UK, took the decision to construct a model factory in the 1920s and acquired 156 acres of land to the south of Beeston. In constructing his purpose-built factory Jesse Boot made direct reference to American corporate working models aimed at creating a modern industrial environment – spacious, light and healthy for the workers – alongside the introduction of efficient, process-driven design. The modular, extendable and process-driven scheme reflected the fast changing needs of industrial production. Such concepts of appropriateness and suitability for purpose – using the latest structural techniques and materials – were a driving force in the construction of D10, the wet processes factory (constructed 1930-32) and D6, the dry processes factory (constructed 1937-38), both designed by the civil engineer Sir Evan Owen Williams. D34, the site fire station, was also constructed in 1938 possibly to quell fires in the dry processes factory near which it sits, and also perhaps as a test model for the innovative construction of D6.

The interior of D6 was converted in part to offices in 1994-6.


MATERIALS D6 Pharmaceutical is constructed of reinforced concrete.

PLAN The building is rectangular in plan and 18 bays long with cantilevered storage areas and loading docks on each long side.

EXTERIOR The building has external piers carrying roof beams, and supporting cantilever beams over storage areas and loading docks. The flat roofs, and north light roofs have patent glazing. There are deep projecting floor bands with cornices. The strip glazing casements have metal frames. The building is comprised of a single storey, with 5 and 6 storey sections. The single storey area is a large, open expanse with the weight of the roof carried on cantilevered beams with occasional vertical support. The asymmetrical south-west end has a projecting central section with a 6-storey, canted lift and stair tower, flanked by a single-storey office suite with parapet. The canted, central bay with slit casements is flanked by steps, with 3 triangular aprons, and single doors with overlights. Beyond, there are single canted windows, and beyond again, 3 casements. Above, on each floor of the tower there are 2 canted casements flanked by single casements and to the left, a set back bay. To the right there is a cantilevered canopy over the car park. The south-east side has a continuous loading dock with concrete fascia above. The north-west side has, to the left, 2 projecting hoist towers, each with a pair of set back flanking wings.

INTERIOR Continuous floor slabs are supported by cruciform columns with flared heads. The entrance hall has 2 coved columns and a deep faience dado, as well as a stepped ceiling with flush bronze lights, perhaps modern replacements. The lobby entrance is tiled with buff and turquoise fluted ceramic tiles. The floor has a geometric stripe pattern made up of square tiles in yellow and turquoise. The cantilevered concrete stairs rise around the lift shaft and have a small rectangular light well. Office accommodation was added in 1994-6: partitions and fittings of this date are not of special interest.

The asset was previously listed twice also at List entry 1247645. This entry was removed from the List on 23/04/2015.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Harwood, E, Pevsner Architectural Guides: Nottingham, (2008)
'Architects' Journal' in Extensions: Boots Factory, Beeston, Notts., (29 December 1938)
Rijke, A de, 'Concrete Quarterly' in Favourtite Buildings, (Winter 2003)
Monckton, L and Smith, P, Nottingham: The Creation of a City's Identity EH Research Report series 22/2009, 2009,

National Grid Reference: SK5430236774


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1278028 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jul-2018 at 08:08:18.

End of official listing