CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1278252
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Sep-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1278252.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 00:01:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
Parish:
Sternfield
National Grid Reference:
TM 39095 61594

Details

TM 36 SE STERNFIELD CHURCH HILL (east side)

2/120 Church of St. Mary 7.12.66 Magdalene (formerly listed as Church of St. Mary)

GV II*

Parish church. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, north vestry. Mainly random flint with stone dressings, some brickwork to nave; roofs of nave, chancel and porch of plaintiles with crest tiles. Early C15 tower: square, unbuttressed, crenellated parapet; 2 string courses to bell-chamber stage, the one immediately below the parapet with some carved heads; 2-light semi-circular headed bell-chamber openings; west face with one 2-light window (fragments of medieval glass) and one single-light window with square hood mould; below lower window is a carved stone shield bearing the de la Pole arms. Nave probably C14: south wall with one late C19 3-light window in Perpendicular style, north wall with 2 2-light C15 windows with square hood moulds (one window largely original), blocked doorway. C14 porch: moulded entrance arch on semi-circular responds, empty trefoil-headed niche above; 2-light side openings with circular shafts and shouldered lintols; nave doorway with plank door and holy water stoup to right hand side. Chancel rebuilt in 1764, considerably restored 1877: new windows, re-fashioned Priest's doorway, vestry added to north on site of C14 chapel; good C14 piscina with ballflower ornament set in north chancel external wall. Nave with 4-bay single hammerbeam roof, probably largely C19, the hammerbeams with pointed ends and pendant bosses; chancel roof of 1877, 3 bays, arch-braced construction; also of 1877 are the chancel arch, pulpit, organ chamber, nave benches, tiles and much glass. North chancel wall retains trefoil-headed 2-light window of the former chapel; north nave wall with blocked entrance to rood loft stairs; blocked sanctus bell window above tower arch. C14 octagonal font with quatrefoil to each face; some benches in chancel with re-used C15 traceried ends with carved arm rests; reredos painting by Benjamin West entitled 'The Blind Restored to Sight'; 2 plain marble tablets on south chancel wall to Rev. Montagu North (d.1779) and Elizabeth North his wife (d.1774). Graded II* for surviving medieval work, notably porch and tower.

Listing NGR: TM3909561594

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
406251
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/06847/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gordon Dunmore. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].