CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1278428
Date first listed:
09-Aug-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, GOLBORNE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST OSWALD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1278428.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:13:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, GOLBORNE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Warrington (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Winwick
National Grid Reference:
SJ 60375 92833

Details

SJ 69 SW WINWICK C.P. GOLBORNE ROAD (West Side)

2/18 Church of St Oswald

9/8/1966 GV I

Church. Bases of north arcade early C13; walls of Legh Chapel and Organ Chamber 1330; west tower 1358; walls and north arcade of nave (except Legh Chapel and Organ Chamber) 1580; South Porch 1720; south arcade of nave rebuilt in 1836 reusing the probably C14 stones; Chancel/Sanctuary and Vestry by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin for 13th Earl of Derby 1847-9; external stonework, including tracery, restored C19 and C20. Of sandstone with roofs of lead or other metal.

West tower with recessed spire; aisled nave of 6 bays; south porch; chapel in east bay of each nave aisle; chancel and sanctuary; north vestry.

Tower of 3 stages with stone spire has diagonal buttresses; replaced double door of oak; 3-light reticulated west window with restored figures of Saints Anthony and Oswald in a niche to each side, and with St Anthony's pig carved to right; clock on west and east faces; 2-light bell-openings; crenellated parapet. Aisle and clerestorey windows of 4 lights have panel tracery; the clerestorey windows are above the crowns of alternate aisle arches; buttressed aisles have plain parapet north side, crenellated parapet south side. Steep-roofed chancel and sanctuary of 3-bays has sanctus bellcote on west gable and reticulated windows. The vestry is part of the same design. South porch has C20 replaced doors, square-set buttresses and crenellated parapet. Interior: South arcade on quatrefoil-section columns with bell caps; each north arcade pillar has 8 attached shafts and clumsily-carved caps. Camber-beam panelled oak roofs, of 1711 in their present form, to nave and aisles. Legh Chapel has a fine C16 panelled roof. Brass to Sir Peter Legh (dated 1527) in vestments and armour (ordained when widowed) and his wife. Monuments to Richard Legh (died 1687); Benet Legh (died 1755 aged 8), and relief (with angel, husband and baby); Mrs Ellen Legh (died 1831) by R J Wyatt, made in Rome. The Gerrard Chapel contains a damaged font circa 1400 and a brass to Peter Gerard, died 1495. The chancel and sanctuary contain rearranged pews, furnishings and glass designed by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin: an impressive ensemble.

The church contains an interesting sequence of medieval work, the exceptionally fine Legh Chapel and monuments and a good, furnished example of Pugin addition to an existing church.

Listing NGR: SJ6037592832

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
405831
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/05832/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Patrick Norris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].