CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1278672
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1278672.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:13:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Little Whelnetham
National Grid Reference:
TL 88865 60045

Details

TL 86 SE LT.WELNETHAM CHURCH LANE

2/112 Church of St.Mary Magdalene

14.7.55

I

Church, mediaeval. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble with some surviving areas of early render, lacing courses of plaintile to tower, limestone quoins and dressings. Plaintiled roofs. The earlier chancel re- fenestrated mid C14; 2-light hood-moulded windows in sidewalls and 3-light east window with flowing tracery. Simple nave piscina possibly Norman with chamfered round arch; small arched recess, perhaps a C13 aumbry; C13 leper squint in south wall. C13 tower, with mid C14 2-light west window, 2- light belfry openings with boarded shutters, the parapets rebuilt early C16 in crenellated red brickwork. The nave much altered early C16, with large 4-light hood-moulded windows, north (blocked) and south doorways, and tower-arch. Fine nave hammer-beam roof, with each hammer-beam figure-carved (restored 1842), and principal rafters arch-braced up to collar; 2 intermediate trusses above each window, arched directly to collar, with a head carved in the wall-post either side of each brace; lion-head carved timber corbels to each truss. Early C16 porch of unusually thick red bricks; crow-stepped gable, hood-moulded arched doorway and niche above, 2-light arched side windows, coupled rafter roof. Chancel roof rebuilt early C16; principal rafters with arch-bracing to collars, butt purlins and crenellated cornice; of similar workmanship to nave roof. Restored C15 screen, complete up to middle rail only, with pilasters and tracery between. A set of 20 fine C15 poppy-head pews, some restored or replaced to a high standard, probably in 1882; traditional poppy-heads, traceried ends and carved buttresses. C19 traceried poppy-head choir stalls. C15 octagonal limestone font, with traceried stem and sunk quatrefoils to bowl. In the south nave wall 2 C14 image pedestals, and a shaft (probably reset), having a C12 cushion capital. 4 black marble slabs in the chancel floor to:- Edward Agas (rector), d.1680, and his wife Rachel, d.1677; their son Anthony Agas (rector), d.1721; Wm Bauley, d.1705, and his wife Susan, d.1718; Katherin Briton, d.1720, her son Thomas, d.1741, and daughter Elizabeth, d.1734.

Listing NGR: TL8886560045

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
404989
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08224/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Gateshill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].