ALL SAINTS CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1279106
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
27-Jan-1984
Statutory Address:
ALL SAINTS CHURCH, CHURCH ROAD
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALL SAINTS CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1279106.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2020 at 03:08:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
ALL SAINTS CHURCH, CHURCH ROAD
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Hawstead
National Grid Reference:
TL 85579 59258

Details

TL 85 NE; 5/49

HAWSTEAD, CHURCH ROAD, All Saints Church

(Formerly listed as Church of All Saints)

14.07.55

I

Church; mediaeval, restored 1857. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, north vestry. Flint rubble with limestone dressings. Plaintiled roofs; leaded parapet roofs to tower and porch. The north and south nave doorways C12, with chevron- and roll-moulded round arch, moulded imposts, engaged shafts with cushion capitals and moulded bases. The chancel has mid C13 work: lancets (now blocked) in side walls, south doorway, chancel arch with polygonal jambs and moulded capital and base, a double piscina now hidden behind the tomb of Elizabeth Drury. Another C13 piscina in the nave to left of chancel arch. In the chancel a fine C14 canopied recess with flanking pilasters; within it is the effigy of a C13 knight, said to be of the Fitz Eustace family. Three 2-light windows inserted into chancel mid-C14. Vestry probably added C15; flint rubble and freestone walls much repaired in red brick; cambered tie-beam roof. The tower, nave and south porch all built early C16. Tower in three stages, on a freestone plinth with frieze of flushwork traceried panels. Moulded west doorway with large 3-light window above; between them a frieze bearing the arms of the Drury family. Polygonal full-height stair turret, 2-light belfry openings, crenellated parapets with flushwork panels. 3-light side windows to nave, all having dropped-cill seats. Fine 9-bay nave roof, probably not finished before 1550, heavily restored 1857; principal rafters with arch- braced high collars and king posts, alternate trusses having arch-braced hammer beams carved as angels, with traceried spandrels; the intermediate trusses arch-braced directly to the wall-pieces on stone corbels. Deep moulded and traceried cornice, two purlins and ridge; many members have folded-leaf carving. The porch of squared flint and limestone rubble, with pilastered doorway, 2-light windows and parapet gables. The east window renewed early C16; large, of five lights. Barrel roof in the chancel, plastered, with ribbed and bossed richly decorated panels. Beside the tower arch a C13 wall-painting of a female figure; originally on the south chancel wall behind the Elizabeth Drury tomb, moved c.1980. Font with plain square bowl, probably C12; formerly with a square base, replaced with turned shafts c.1857. C15 rood screen with two sidelights on each side, and tracery at upper level; the sanctus bell still sits upon the top rail. Octagonal oak pulpit very restored, using some early C16 panels. Restored early C16 poppyhead stalls with traceried fronts. Four simple C16 poppyhead elm pews. C19 poppyhead nave pews; four have reused C16 animal-heads. A C17 family pew, oak-panelled with marquetry. Late C17 altar rails and gates now placed across the tower-arch. In a north nave window some stained glass of C15 and C16; heraldry, saints and evangelists in roundels. The east window and others have good C19 stained glass commemorating the Cullum family. Fine wall monuments and tablets in the chancel, including to:- Sir Robert Drury, d.1624, by Nicholas Stone; Elizabeth Drury, d. 1610; Sir Thomas Cullum, d.1664, by D. Nacinto (outsize, in painted plaster); Sir Dudley Cullum, d.1720; Dame Anna Cullum, d.1735. In the nave the altar tomb of Sir William Drury, d.1557. A group of 6 good marble wall tablets in the nave, to the Metcalfe family, one to Mary Buckley, Viscountess Carleton. Three C16 brasses in chancel floor. Several black marble floor slabs of late C17 to early C19 in nave and chancel, mainly to the Cullum family. Large C19 organ with Gothick ornament.

Listing NGR: TL8557959258

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
403991
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/08694/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Moira Gallagher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].