CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1279374
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, A690

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1279374.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:21:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, A690

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Greater Willington
National Grid Reference:
NZ 20908 35140

Details

CROOK AND WILLINGTON A 690 (North side) NZ 23 NW Willington 25/9 Church of St. Stephen

GV II

Parish church. Circa 1857 by J.A. Cory; additions 1868 (probably by C.H. Fowler) and 1873. Irregularly-coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings. West tower; 4-bay nave with north aisle and south porch; lower chancel with north vestry. 2-centred-arched double boarded door, with studs and elaborate wrought-iron hinges, under drip string in porch with sun-dial in gable peak. 3-stage tower with offsets has 3-light west window with traceried 2-centred head; small cusped lancet in second stage; Perpendicular tracery in 2-light belfry openings under flower-bracketed frieze and battlemented parapet. Pyramidal roof has weather-cock finial. Nave windows have 2 lights under depressed 2-centred heads, with Decorated tracery; chancel has elliptical-headed door with moulded alternate-block surround, under dripstring,to east; square-headed 2-light windows with Perpendicular tracery at left and above string. Diagonal buttresses to tower and porch, larger ones to chancel, with moulded plinths; nave bays buttressed.

Interior: plaster above boarded dado; ashlar arcade. Arch-braced hammer-beam nave roof with brattished frieze and stone-corbelled wall posts; painted panelled chancel-roof with Tudor-flower friezes and bosses. Patterned tiles on chancel floor. Double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers in nave, on attached columns to chancel, and springing from wall to tower. Chancel south door blocked; the opening, with crested wood surround, now used for priest's seat; vestry door has low elliptical head. Rood screen; choir-stalls traceried with poppy-heads; pews have Tudor flower decoration. Tower arch filled by glazed screen. East window in memory of Major-General Mills of Willington Hall, died 1851. Other C19 glass in chancel and in one south nave window. Brass war memorial (W.W.I.) on wall to left of chancel arch. Octagonal stone font.

Listing NGR: NZ2090835140

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
403504
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/71473

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06148/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Thomas S. Bolton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].