GREENBANK CEMETERY PAIR OF ATTACHED MORTUARY CHAPELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1279726
Date first listed:
13-Nov-1989
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
GREENBANK CEMETERY PAIR OF ATTACHED MORTUARY CHAPELS, GREENBANK ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1279726.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Aug-2020 at 12:53:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
GREENBANK CEMETERY PAIR OF ATTACHED MORTUARY CHAPELS, GREENBANK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 61618 74677

Details

BRISTOL

ST6174 GREENBANK ROAD, Eastville 901-1/38/1258 (North side (off)) 13/11/89 Greenbank Cemetery: pair of attached mortuary chapels (Formerly Listed as: GREENBANK ROAD, Eastville Chapels at Greenbank Cemetery)

GV II

Pair of attached mortuary chapels. 1871. By Henry Masters. Squared Pennant rubble with polychromatic limestone and sandstone dressings and granite details, and slate roof with striped pattern and decorative iron ridge. Axial plan of 2 chapels linked by an open cloister with a central tower. High Victorian Gothic Revival style. Alternate red and white voussoirs to the arches; either side of the tower are blocked lancet arches over low, shouldered openings, with a central red column and crocketed capital. The tympanum on the SW side has a carved tableau of Christ and the disciples, and on the NE side the inscription GREENBANK/ CEMETERY/ OPENED 1871/ ENLARGED 1881; above are crocketed flush gables with angel corbels at the eaves. The base of the tower has a scalloped, weathered ashlar eaves course, leading to an octagonal section with oculi at the top and a weathered coping course; a timber spire was taken down in 1952. Either side are open lancet arcades of 2 bays on grey shafts with crocket capitals, ending in small cross-gabled vestries with 2-light windows with Decorated tracery and a ridge stack. The ends form 2 chapels, Church of England to the S and Nonconformist to the N, which have apsidal bays either side and an open porch in the ends. The bays have 5 pointed gables containing traceried lancet arches, with figures between; on the nave ridges are square, leaded lanterns set on the angle, with a steep roof and iron finial. The porches have encaustic tiles, a bench seat each side and a 2-leaf lancet door with strap hinges. The open entrances have paired red sandstone shafts beneath pointed arches, and gablet kneelers to the coping above. INTERIOR: open timber roofs on shafts with foliate corbels, 3 arched doorways on engaged shafts into the vestries, within a grand relieving arch with inscribed texts, and an encaustic-tiled floor.

Listing NGR: ST6161874677

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
379660
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/02500/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Alan Bamforth. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].