ARKWRIGHT HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1279775
Date first listed:
12-Jun-1950
Statutory Address:
ARKWRIGHT HOUSE, STONEYGATE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1279775.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 23:41:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
ARKWRIGHT HOUSE, STONEYGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Preston (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 54297 29269

Details

PRESTON

SD5429SW STONEYGATE 941-1/12/276 (East side) 12/06/50 Arkwright House

GV II*

Formerly known as: Arkwright Arms STONEYGATE. Town house, now partly occupied as office. 1728 with C19 addition; altered and renovated c.1979. Brick, with stucco facade, slate roof. L-plan: single-depth front range with rear wing, and addition to east side. Early Georgian. Three storeys and attic over cellar, a 5-window symmetrical range, plus 2-window addition to right. The facade has a central doorway with a C20 pedimented wooden architrave and panelled door with overlight; and 12-pane sashed windows on all floors, with raised sills and exposed boxes. Gable chimneys, C20 skylights in roof. The left gable wall has a large 12-pane sashed stair-window, a small 12-pane sash above this, and a very small 12-pane sash to the attic. The addition to the right, which is not stuccoed, has a C19 corner-shop front at ground floor, sashed windows without glazing bars at 1st floor, altered windows at 2nd floor. INTERIOR altered. History: House was originally occupied by headmaster of Grammar School; in 1768 Richard Arkwright and John Kay occupied a back room for development of the spinning machine known as the water-frame.

Listing NGR: SD5425429293

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
392172
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/14355/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Convey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].