PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1279836
Date first listed:
29-Dec-1950
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1279836 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 01:34:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 41045 61650

Details

SD4161 939-1/7/20

MORECAMBE AND HEYSHAM MAIN STREET, Heysham (West side (off)) Parish Church of St Peter

29/12/50

GV I Church. C14 and c.1500 with pre-Conquest remains and mid C19 alterations. Restored and north aisle added 1864. Sandstone rubble with stone slate roof. Comprises a nave with north and south aisles under a continuous roof, a west bellcote and south porch. The lower chancel has north and south aisles, both under pitched roofs. The west wall has 2 buttresses with offsets. Between them is a blocked round-headed doorway remaining from the pre-Conquest church. Above is a 2-light C19 window with reticulated tracery under a pointed head. The bellcote appears to be C17 and contains 2 bells. To the right, lighting the aisle, is a small chamfered window with ogee head. The west window of the C19 north aisle is of 2 lights with a foiled circle within a pointed head. On the north side a similar window lights the chancel aisle and two light the nave aisle. To the east the chancel aisle wall is stepped forwards and the taller vestry is separately roofed. A low boiler house is built against its wall, which contains a chimney. The south porch appears to be C17 and has a pitched roof and a segmental-arched doorway. The inner doorway is chamfered with a pointed head. Two mullioned windows of 2 lights light the nave aisle, the left-hand window with segmental heads and the right-hand one with trefoiled heads. The chancel aisle wall contains a window of 2 segmental lights with a round-headed C17 doorway to its left. To the right, beyond a straight joint indicating an addition, is a 2-light C19 window with pointed head and reticulated tracery. In the east walls of the south and north aisles are similar windows. The east chancel window is of c1300, of 3 lights with intersecting tracery. Interior has walls of exposed rubble. The 2-bay nave arcades have chamfered pointed arches springing from octagonal piers and caps. The north arcade dates from 1864. The open timber roof appears to be of similar date. The chamfered segmental chancel arch is a C17 rebuilding, but has cable moulded imposts. The south chancel window, now opening into the south chapel, is C14 and of two lights with reticulated tracery. Built into the walls are various coffin lids, including the gravestone of a C17 vicar built into the east wall of the chancel. The chancel screen has traceried heads to the openings and contains C15 woodwork, but was moved to its present position in the C19 and was restored. In the south chancel aisle is a pre-Conquest hogback tombstone, with carved bears biting the ends and with the sides richly decorated with figures mixing Norse mythology and Christian symbolism. It was previously in the churchyard and was moved into the church in 1961. The octagonal sandstone font is probably C16 and has an openwork font cover with an ogee top. Although restored in theC19, its turned balusters appear to be C17. (V C H: 114-16).

Listing NGR: SD4104661649

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391836
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1914), 114-16

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/03214/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Charles Satterly. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].