CHURCH OF ST GEORGE WITH TRININTY AND ST JAMES WITH HALL, WALLS AND GATES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1279916
Date first listed:
17-Oct-1994
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE WITH TRININTY AND ST JAMES WITH HALL, WALLS AND GATES, BELVEDERE ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1279916.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2020 at 04:34:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE WITH TRININTY AND ST JAMES WITH HALL, WALLS AND GATES, BELVEDERE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sunderland (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 39552 56279

Details

SUNDERLAND

NZ3956SE BELVEDERE ROAD 920-1/22/17 (South side) 10/11/78 Church of St George with Trinity and St James with hall, walls and gates (Formerly Listed as: STOCKTON ROAD (West side) St George's Presbyterian church and Hall)

GV II*

Presbyterian church, now United Reformed church and joined by other congregations, with adjacent hall, and walls and gates attached. 1888-90. By John Bennie Wilson of Glasgow. Much of finance provided by RA Bartram, shipowner, who laid the foundation stone on February 7th 1889. Rock-faced red Dumfries sandstone with ashlar dressings; roof of small Lakeland slates with red terracotta ridge tiles and stone gable finials. Geographical S is ritual E. Aisled 5-bay nave, transepts, and SW tower. Free C13 style with plate tracery, lancets, cusped roundels, with distinctive tower. EXTERIOR: aisles and west elevation have paired lancets with plain reveals and alternate-block jambs; gallery windows have long sloping sills and sill string. Gabled N and S transepts have large top roundels set between 2 lancets in double-recessed pointed arched panel; aisle galleries bays defined by shallow pilasters rising from sill string; W gallery has tall paired 2-light windows with central gabled buttress and larger buttress at left defining tower. W gable peak has small stepped lancets. Tower: W gabled door projection has steps up to double doors with central shaft under carved tympanum in many-moulded surround, with chamfers dying into jambs, flanked by short gabled buttresses. Smaller buttresses on left return; short second stage behind door gable has simple blind arcade; tall third stage has long slits near top; very tall fourth stage has paired full-height cusped belfry openings with lower lancets, cusped transoms, and tracery, between gabled buttresses; spirelets on pinnacles to squat pyramidal roof with swept finial. Steeply pitched roofs with cross finials. Church hall attached to ritual NE is in similar materials and style: L plan with octagonal porch in angle; 2 storeys, 4x4 windows. Date 1888 in E gable. Steeply pitched roof with high pyramidal ridge ventilators, and tall octagonal roof to porch. Walls attached enclose space between hall and church in Stockton Road and continue along Belvedere Road. Rock-faced walls, with renewed railings, have tooled ashlar square gate piers with inner-facing gables on low conical coping; folding 4-leaf wrought-iron gates have scrolls and dogbars. INTERIOR of church shows E organ; cast-iron piers, galleries on 3 sides, boarded roof; high quality carved stone pulpit of 1907, a memorial, designed in consultation with the architect, at centre in front of organ, and Elders' chairs in front of pulpit. Much original detail including high quality pews. Stained glass of high quality in most windows. This church was built to replace the Villiers Street Chapel (No.19 (qv)) because it was too small for the congregation. (Hyslop R: Two Hundred Years 1739-1939 St George's Presbyterian Church: Sunderland: 1939-).

Listing NGR: NZ3955256279

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391390
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hyslop, R , Two Hundred Years 1739-1939 St Georges Presbyterian Church, (1939)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/03868/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr D.H. Bottoms. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].