Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1280299
Date first listed: 28-Jun-1952
Date of most recent amendment: 19-Jun-1985
Statutory Address: CROXTETH HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1280299 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2019 at 21:48:04.
Statutory Address: CROXTETH HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference: SJ 40848 94340
SJ 4094 CROXTETH PARK
SJ 408943 L12
15/327 Croxteth Hall (formerly listed under Croxteth Hall Lane as Croxteth 28.6.52 Hall with inner courtyard)
Country House. Southern end of east range of c.1575. South range of c.1702. North range and northern end of east range of 1874-7. West range and range behind south range of 1902. 1870's work, T. H. Wyatt; 1902 work, J. McVicar Anderson. Brick with stone dressings. South facade of 2 storeys, with terrace over extended basement, 11 bays; 3-bay centre breaks forward. 3-bay returns. Rusticated quoins; cornice and parapet with stone pilasters supporting urns. Basement has pilaster, parapet with urns and alternate round and bull's eye windows with torus surrounds. Windows have architraves and are sashed with glazing bars; Ground floor windows have pulvinated friezes and alternate triangular and segmental pediments. Central entrance has Corinthian aedicule with paired columns and broken segmental pediment. Foliated frieze and Molyneux arms and flags in pediment. Entrance has bolection moulding and decorated keystone. Panel above has trophies. Steps lead to entrance. West facade similar, of 3 storeys and 16 bays. 1st 6 bays have 2-bay forward break with 2-storey canted bay. Other bays have 2nd floor recessed between 3-bay pavilions. Entrance has porch with distyle-in-antis Tuscan colonnade and central segmental pediment. North facade of 2 storeys with extended basement and 7 bays. Varied fenestration with mullions and transoms, 3rd, 6th and 7th bays project under gables, other bays have half-dormers. Tudor-arched entrance and gable-end chimney breast to left. East facade has central entrance tower with diagonal buttresses Tudor-arched entrance and side entrance with oriel over, 3 bays to right as north facade, 5 bays to left of 2 storeys with attic, 2nd and 4th bays project under gables, other bays have gabled roof dormers. 1st floor cross windows, 2nd floor 6-light windows, ground floor kitchen extension. 1st 3 bays as west facade. Interior: Entrance hall has Corinthian tetrastyle screen. Stair hall of 1902 has coved ceiling with roof light and round arches to 1st floor passages. Much of the interior was destroyed by fire in 1952.
Listing NGR: SJ4084894340
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 213958
Legacy System: LBS
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing