JACKSON'S FARMHOUSE AND COTTAGE ADJOINING JACKSON'S FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1280581
Date first listed:
01-Apr-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
10-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
JACKSON'S FARMHOUSE AND COTTAGE ADJOINING JACKSON'S FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL, CHURCH SQUARE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1280581.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Apr-2021 at 15:46:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
JACKSON'S FARMHOUSE AND COTTAGE ADJOINING JACKSON'S FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL, CHURCH SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Burnley (District Authority)
Parish:
Worsthorne-with-Hurstwood
National Grid Reference:
SD 87659 32442

Details

SD 83 SE WORSTHORNE WITH CHURCH SQUARE HURSTWOOD 3/40 Jackson's Farmhouse and cottage adjoining Jackson's Farmhouse and attached garden wall (formerly listed as Old Hall (Jackmans House Farm) 1.4.1953 GV II*

Farmhouse, now 2 dwellings. Hall range dated 1627 internally, wing probably c.1600; altered. Coursed squared sandstone, stone slate roof. Modified T-plan, facing south: hall range with 2-bay crosswing at east end, short rear wing, and projecting porch at west end. Two storeys; 2-storey gabled porch at left end has doorway with 4-centred head, slightly-oversailing facade above this, a recessed 3-light window at 1st floor, a round-headed light in the gable and stone coping; hall range has a continuous dripcourse, at ground floor a 3-light former firewindow and a king-mullioned hall window formerly 4 + 4 lights but now 2 + 4 (a doorway inserted at the left end now blocked), and at 1st floor two 3-light windows: all these windows have recessed ovalo-and-fillet mullions and those at lst floor have hoodmoulds. West gable wall has 2 similar 2-light windows at 1st floor, stone gable coping and large chimney cap on the apex. Small ridge chimney at junction with wing. East wing, which is earlier, has in the gable wall king-mullioned windows with recessed round-headed lights and hollow spandrels, 3 + 3 lights on each floor, both with hoodmoulds, in the re-entrant wall a small window on each floor slightly overlapped by the junction of the hall, and the upper blocked, and the return wall of this wing has a large external chimney stack (finished with tall rebuilt chimney), an inserted doorway and one mullioned window on each floor to the rear of this. Rear has some similar recessed mullioned windows and short gabled rear wing to hall range. Rectangular garden in front, extended slightly to west, enclosed by wall c. one metre high, of coursed rubble with quoins, chamfered dressed coping. Interior: east wing has timber-framed lateral partition with large posts and rails making square panels, in parlour to the front of this large chamfered beams on moulded stone corbels; broadly chamfered pointed-Tudor-arched doorways on both floors, including one at lst floor connecting with hall range; blocked chamfered fireplace above parlour; hall range altered but housepart has remains of elaborate plasterwork at east end including a herm, a lozenge with date 1627, and a shield with initials C.I S.I (= Christopher and Susan Jackson); through-passage at west end; existence of former inglenook with reredos to through-passage from porch and smoke hood arched over this passage to gable chimney inferred from position of firewindow, grooved beam on line of bressummer, and internal form of stone cap to chimney at west gable. Reference RCHM p.173 et passim.

Listing NGR: SD8765932442

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
184046
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pearson, S, Rural Houses of the Lancashire Pennines 1560-1760, (1985), 173

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/11812/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Wood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].