CHURCH OF ST ANNE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1281325
Date first listed:
12-Feb-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANNE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1281325.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Mar-2021 at 12:42:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANNE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
South Lakeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Hugill
National Park:
LAKE DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
SD 44608 98633

Details

SD 49 NW HUGILL Ings

5/18 Church of St Anne 12/2/62

G.V. II*

Parish Church dated 1743 on plaque, restored and North Transept added in 1877. Roughly coursed rubble walls, sandstone quoins and window surrounds, graduated greenslate roof and stone ridge. Stone urns to each corner. 6 bays. Continuous nave and chancel. Square tower at West end with corniced ashlar parapet surmounted by 8 stone flaming torches. West entrance in base of tower has plain classical doorcase with broken pediment enclosing the coat of arms of Robert Bateman of Reston Hall (q.v.). A plaque over the door is inscribed "This Chapel was begun to be built Anno Domini 1743 at ye sole expense of Mr Robert Bateman Merchant of Leghorn Born in this Hamlet but He Dying suddenly the same year the work was ordered and appointed to be finished by his Executors". C19 studded wooden double doors fitted with wooden lock apparently dated 1682 but very worn. East window: Venetian with rusticated central architrave within open and broken pediment; remaining windows: arched heads with keystones and impost blocks. Interior has coved and panelled ceiling, said to have been plastered during C19 restoration, with continuous frieze and dentil cornice, supported by Ionic pillars on pedestals in the chancel. East window, to memory of Isabella Thompson and signed by Edward Frampton, is flanked by panels with quotations from the Bible set in C19 Jacobean style panelling; C18 turned altar rails; brass in chancel commemorating the restoration of 1877 with poem by Wordsworth to Robert Bateman. Opening in West Tower filled with 3-stage screen of Corinthian order. Lower stage has round-headed double doors with small twisted pilasters, flanked by Corinthian pilasters with defaced capitals. Royal Arms above. Marble floor sent from Italy by Bateman. C18 font with cherub heads possibly with later pedestal.

Listing NGR: SD4460898633

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
76470
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/15644/37
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adrian Allchin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].