This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1281336



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Erewash

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Draycott and Church Wilne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 82201

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


PARISH OF DRAYCOTT & CHURCH WILNE WILNE ROAD SK 43 SW 3/14 (East Side) Church of St Chad 10.11.67 I

Parish church. Early C13, early and late C14, C15, chapel added c1622 and sympathetically restored 1917-23, after a fire in 1917, by Currey and Thompson. Sandstone ashlar with some rubble sandstone to north elevation, and sandstone dressings. Moulded plinth to south chapel and chancel. Shallow pitched leaded roofs with embattled parapets with ridgeback copings and a continuous stringcourse at eaves level. Three stage western tower with clerestoried nave plus south aisle, and chancel with chapel to south, also south porch. Tower is C13 except top stage which is C15, each stage is slightly smaller than the one below and against the south-west corner is a staircase tower which tapers into the wall at the third stage. First stage has set back buttresses to western corners and each side has a central narrow lancet with similar above near the top of the stage, also similar window to west side of the staircase. Above there are narrow flat headed windows to all three sides with similar smaller one to south of the staircase and above again there are deeply recessed pointed Y-tracery bell openings to all sides. Projecting embattled parapets with ridgeback copings over. North elevation has a chamfered lancet with hoodmould to west and a low pointed chamfered doorcase with continuous hoodmould to east. Beyond to east are two 3-light flowing traceried pointed windows with hoodmoulds and carved head labelstops. Between each opening and to either end there are buttresses. Above there are four C15 flat headed 2-light windows with cusped mouchettes to top, in deeply recessed cavetto moulded surrounds. Embattled parapets above with mutilated gargoyles. North elevation of chancel has two flat headed 2-light C15 windows, larger but similar to the clerestory windows, with stepped buttress between and also a chamfered segment headed C19 doorcase below western window. East elevation has stepped corner buttresses and a central 3-light window with panel tracery set in deep cambered headed surround. Attached to south is the chapel of c1622 with central 3-light intersecting tracery pointed east window with hoodmould and embattled parapets above. South elevation of the chapel has two 3-light flat headed windows with strange panel tracery, ie: ogee headed lights with pierced spandrels in a semi-circular top, and between the windows and to east are stepped buttresses with unusual moulded copings. Beyond to west, the south aisle has two C13 3-light Y-tracery windows with hoodmoulds and buttresses between, with a similar C19 window beyond the south porch. South porch is C15 and has a lapped stone roof with double chamfered pointed doorcase with soffit on moulded corbels and wide buttresses to each side. Inner door is a wide double chamfered arch with hoodmoulds and inside the porch has chamfered ribs on moulded corbels supporting the roof and small 2-light windows similar to clerestory ones, now blocked externally by the buttresses. Above, the clerestory has five flat headed windows, of which western three look C15. Embattled parapets above have several gargoyles. Interior, mostly of 1917-23, including four bay south arcade of double chamfered arches on octagonal stone columns with moulded capitals and grey stone banding. One pier is inscribed with date 1923. Chancel arch is pointed with soffit moulding on corbels. Adjacent to south is the remains of former staircase up to rood screen and a squint through to chancel. Beyond again to south is the lower double chamfered arch through to south chapel. The tower to west end of nave has a small pointed doorcase from the nave. Chancel has two C15 windows similar to north chancel windows, through to chapel on south side . Also on south side is a trefoil headed piscina. North wall has inset C13 grave stone and a wall memorial, formerly with brasses of c1513 to Hugh Willoughby and his wife. On the floor is a C14 alabaster tomb slab with incised figures and latin inscription to edge, to Hugh Willoughby, who died 1491. Altar, altar rails, choir stalls, screens across the chancel arch and south chapel arch, the pulpit and nave pews are all of c1923 by Currey and Thompson in Arts and Crafts style. South aisle has late C19 pierced wooden screen to west end. South chapel built by the Willoughbys in 1622, is lavishly decorated with a Flemish tiled floor, three stained glass windows by Van Linges, also Flemish, and carved coats of arms to centre of the cambered tie beams. There are also two fine monuments, one to Sir John and Lady Willoughby of Risley who built the chapel, erected 1622 and the other of c1688 to Ann Grey. The earlier monument is of painted alabaster and has a deep base with four kneeling figures on, over this is a large semi-circular headed aedicule with a coffered ceiling, double columns to either side with pulvinated frieze over topped by steeple finials to corners and a large central achievement encased in strapwork. Within the niche are the recumbent figures of Sir John and his wife with a slate inscription, set in a cartouche flanked by putti, behind them. The other wall memorial has a slate plinth with fluted base and a central marble inscription. Above there are weeping putti to either side of a large urn which has the Grey family achievement carved on the base, fluting to the base of the neck, a swagged neck and a gadrooned top with flame finial . The font is part of a re-used saxon cross. Nave windows are mostly clear glass with margin lights except for a late C19 east window to the south aisle and the west window of the north elevation by H and B Notty of 1938.

Listing NGR: SK4489431847

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK4489431847


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1281336 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 11:38:04.

End of official listing