CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1281495
Date first listed:
11-Oct-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1281495.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:58:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Dover (District Authority)
Parish:
Woodnesborough
National Grid Reference:
TR 30841 56721

Details

TR 35 NW WOODNESBOROUGH CHURCH STREET

(East Side) 6/368 Church of St. 11.10.63 Mary the Virgin

GV II*

Parish church. Circa 1200 with C14 alterations, restored by Christian, 1884. Flint and rubble stone and plain tiled roof. Chancel, nave and aisles, north porch and western tower. Tower in 2 stages with C15 and C13 fenestration, wooden balustrade and ogee cupola with weathervane and ball finial, only saved in 1884 by intervention of J.O. Scott. The exterior is largely Christian's work, with buttresses and renewed tracery, although the east window is genuine early C14 of 3 lights with quatrefoiled heads. Interior: fared rather better than the exterior. Double chamfered tower arch on double rebated moulded abaci. Nave north arcade of 4 chamfered pointed arches on alternate square and octagonal piers with deeply scalloped capitals. Four bay south arcade of unmoulded arches on square piers with simple abaci. Roof of 4 crown posts, partly restored, and cross-braced north aisle roof, plastered south aisle. Chancel arch on moulded square responds, chamfered at corners. Chancel east window reveal with ringed nook shafts with stiff-leaf capitals, 2 original lancet reveals and roof of 2 crown posts with renewed rafters. Fittings: C14 sedilia of 3 seats with quadruple clustered colonettes with cusped ogee heads and quatrefoils in spandrels, with frieze and crenellated top. Restored ogee headed piscina. Cross-shelved aumbry on eastern wall. C18 altar rails with turned balusters. Trecusped piscina and aumbry in south aisle. Royal Arms of George III on nave west wall. Monuments: Elizabeth Shrubsole d. 1720. Black wall plaque in the south aisle with bolection moulded surround, cornice and cartouche. William Gibbs, d.1777, also in the south aisle. White marble wall plaque on Death's head base with seated cherubs in Rocaille surround. James Garret, d.1765, and John Cason, d.1718, similar oval wall plaques with moulded surrounds and acanthus-leaf supports. Thomas Godfrey, d.1810, in the chancel. White and black wall monument for a High Sheriff of Kent. Signed J. Bacon Jnr. Plaque over sarcophagus with broken sword and shield below. Sir Thomas Bleckenden, d.1661. Small black wall tablet with broken segmental pediment and cartouche and scrolled sides with swagged base. (See B.O.E. Kent II 1983, 502-3).

Listing NGR: TR3092456728

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
178400
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 502-3

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/08994/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Carroll. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].