CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1281660
Date first listed:
02-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1281660.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 05:50:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Daventry (District Authority)
Parish:
Holdenby
National Grid Reference:
SP 69187 67599

Details

SP66NE HOLDENBY

7/215 Church of All Saints 02/11/54 - II*

Church. C14 and C19. Restored by Sir G.G. Scott 1868. Lias ashlar with plain fishscale tile roof. Aisled nave chancel and west tower. Chancel C19 to the design of Sir Henry Dryden of Canons Ashby is of 3-window range of lancets with gabled buttresses between. Triple lancet east window with lozenge window above. Organ chamber projection on north side of chancel. Ashlar gable parapets, kneelers and finial. South aisle probably C14 restored 1868 is of 2-window range of 3-light windows with reticulated tracery with similar east and west windows. C19 gabled porch between windows. Gabled roof with ashlar gable parapets. North aisle of 3-window range of 2-light C14 square-headed windows. North door between windows 2 and 3 from left has pointed arched head. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapet. Nave clerestory wall only partially visible by gabled roof. West tower of 3 stages with clasping buttress at west and angle buttress at junction with nave incorporating remains of gargoyle above first stage. Ground-floor west window of 2 lights with pointed arched head. 2-light bell openings to each face of third stage. Crenellated parapet. Interior: C14 nave arcade of 3 bays with double chamfered arches and octagonal piers the south side having hollow chamfers. Blocked quatrefoil clerestory windows on north wall of nave. Double chamfered chancel arch. Chancel walls painted with C19 motifs, C19 roofs. C14 glazed floor tiles in belfry. C17 painted inscription has strapworth surrounds. Stained glass: west window by Powell, several other windows including the east window contain C19 stained glass. Monuments: Incised alabaster slab to William Holdenby died 1490 and wife at east end of south aisle. C14 grave slab alongside. Piscina with ribbed head in south aisle. C19 misericords in chancel and stall c.1720, French with ribbon work. Chancel and belfry screens and reredos reputed to have formed part of the hall screen to Holdenby Palace C17, has Roman Doric columns, metope frieze with slender columns to sections above dados. The top and middle arch with tapering pilasters flanked by 2 foliage volutes with openwork. The village which was immediately to the south was moved when Holdenby Palace was built. (Buildings of England : Northamptonshire, p.260).

Listing NGR: SP6918767599

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
360204
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 260

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/03670/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Oxborough. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].