CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE OF ENGLAND (ROMAN CATHOLIC) WITH CLOISTERS ATTACHED

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1281779
Date first listed:
04-Feb-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE OF ENGLAND (ROMAN CATHOLIC) WITH CLOISTERS ATTACHED, ST AUGUSTINE'S ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE OF ENGLAND (ROMAN CATHOLIC) WITH CLOISTERS ATTACHED
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1281779 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 18:07:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE OF ENGLAND (ROMAN CATHOLIC) WITH CLOISTERS ATTACHED, ST AUGUSTINE'S ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Thanet (District Authority)
Parish:
Ramsgate
National Grid Reference:
TR3766864329

Details

RAMSGATE ST. AUGUSTINE'S ROAD TR 3764 SE (South side) 18/366 Church of St. Augustine of England (R.C.) with cloisters attached GV I Church with cloisters attached. 1845-51 by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin for his self ,later additions by Edward Welby Pugin and Peter Paul Pugin (1858 and 97) 1884. Knapped flint with Whitby stone dressings. Fish slated tiled roofs. Two bay nave and south aisle, crossing and south transept; two bay chancel and south chancel aisle. English Decorated style. Nave has 4 light west window, south aisle with two 2 light windows, 4 light trancept and two 2 light south chancel aisle windows, 4 light east chancel window. South porch against south trancept. Steeply pitched roofs with quatrefoil ventilation openings. Crossing tower carried up to bell stage only has 2 lancets to each face. Interior, sandstone ashlar of high quality, oak roofs panelled in chancel and chancel aisle. Two bay Decorated style arcade 4 arches from crossing, intended to be dominated by the Rood screen, removed from High Altar and later pulpit c. 1972. Nave -benches and chancel stalls, now returned on site of High Altar. Crucifix by Pugin with medieval figure re-erected against crossing pier. Stone font with elaborate wooden cover in south aisle by Pugin, made by Myers, exhibited 1857. Pugin chantry in south transept has oak parclose screen, stone altar, Pugin's tomb with recumbent effigy and kneeling family mourners. Window above with Pugin as donor of church and his 2 pre-deceased wives. Family brasses. South chancel Lady Chapel with stone altar and c.1862 metal screen by John Hardman Powell, Pugin's chancel rood screen re-erected around-altar. Much early Hardman and Co. glass, designed by Pugin. Minton tesselated floor tiles throughout. Single storey west range of cloister with gabled entrance from road, with double boarded doors in moulded arched surround with figurative sculpture over. North cloister range with 4 light tracerred window and door below, and 2 stage tower with lead spirelet, forming the original church of 1847. East range of cloister beyond has substantial 2 storey range of uncertain original purpose. Within cloister 2 chapels by Peter Paul Pugin, one by Edward Welby Pugin (1859) given by Kenelm Digby, author of Mores Catolici. Church built by Pugin with his annual professional fees, reputedly up to £20,000 Left on his death in 1852 to R.C. diocese of Southwark, and from 1856 used by Benedictine monks of St. Augustine's Abbey (connected by tunnel below St. Augustine's Road). Consecrated 1884. Pugin's favourite and most personal building, containing show work by his usual collaborates, George Myers, John Hardman and Herbert Minton, with further work by his sons. (See St. Augustine's Guide; see also B.O.E. Kent II 1983, 421-4).



Listing NGR: TR3767064328

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
172002
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Church of St Augustine Church Guide
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 421-424

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/09010/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nick Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].