THE CITADEL, DISUSED BATTERY APPROXIMATELY 150 METRES SOUTH EAST SOUTH OF SOUTH ENTRANCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1281857
Date first listed:
17-May-1993
Statutory Address:
THE CITADEL, DISUSED BATTERY APPROXIMATELY 150 METRES SOUTH EAST SOUTH OF SOUTH ENTRANCE, GLACIS

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CITADEL, DISUSED BATTERY APPROXIMATELY 150 METRES SOUTH EAST SOUTH OF SOUTH ENTRANCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1281857.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Dec-2019 at 18:25:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE CITADEL, DISUSED BATTERY APPROXIMATELY 150 METRES SOUTH EAST SOUTH OF SOUTH ENTRANCE, GLACIS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
Weymouth and Portland (District Authority)
Parish:
Portland
National Grid Reference:
SY 69438 73259

Details

PORTLAND

SY6873 GLACIS, The Verne 969-1/3/170 (West side) The Citadel, disused battery approx 150m SES of South Entrance

GV II

Disused artillery battery. Dated 1892 and 1898. Portland stone, concrete, brick; tunnels roofed in earth and grass. A large artillery complex outside the main confines of the Verne, with 2 single emplacements and a run of 6 linked by three tunnel runs, and based on series of entrenchments c 4.5 m wide; long N/S run c 120m dying out to north, 3 E/W arms, and a projecting curved arm of c 55m running out at S/W limit. Retaining walls to trenches in good ashlar, rough coursed stone, or brick variously, and rising to c 1.6m on average. At E end of northernmost arm, and at extreme of SW arm are single emplacments in concrete and brick, with set of concrete steps giving to trench; series of 6 emplacements to SE with flat concrete top, linked by bridge to ramp, with narrow gauge rails along top and to ramps, also in trench, passing into tunnel entries N and S. The semicircular emplacements all have two concentric rows of hexagonal-headed fixing bolts at base. A cast concrete barrel-vaulted tunnel runs N/S in two sections; that to N has pedimented arched entries set back in raked revetments, all rendered, at each end, with square panel to pediment inscribed VR 1892 over round arch with iron railed openings. Middle section of tunnel has similar entries but to flat parapet over segmental arch, down 8 steps to bricked-up openings, dated VR 1898. Third tunnel runs in an arc W to E, with 1892 pedimented entries as at north end. Near the S end of the main N/S trench are two blockhouses, both to heavy rock-faced stone quoins, and with flat roofs contained with blocking of large Portland slabs over heavy square cornice, all former door or window openings blocked. That to N is in ashlar, and to S is scribed rendering. This was a substantial emplacement, now outside the main body of The Verne fortifications and freely accessible to pedestrians.

Listing NGR: SY6943873259

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
381952
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/05407/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Reg Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].