CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, WITH BOUNDARY WALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1281886
Date first listed:
21-Sep-1978
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, WITH BOUNDARY WALL, AVALANCHE ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1281886.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2020 at 20:09:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, WITH BOUNDARY WALL, AVALANCHE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
Weymouth and Portland (District Authority)
Parish:
Portland
National Grid Reference:
SY 68688 70180

Details

PORTLAND

SY67NE AVALANCHE ROAD, Southwell 969-1/1/166 (East side) 21/09/78 Church of St Andrew, with boundary wall

II

Anglican parish church. 1879, by C.R. Crickmay, architect. Rock-faced coursed stone with ashlar dressings, bright red clay tile roof. Nave, with bell-cote to west gable, north porch, south baptistry, lower chancel. Simple Early English style with lancets, buttresses and coped gables throughout. West front has three stepped lancets under statue niche and double bellcote; north porch projects, with boiler house to its left, double plank doors under statue niche; stone stack. Nave north side has two pairs of cusped lancets; chancel triple lancet. East end has three stepped lancets to stepped moulded drip course carried across gable width. South front with 3 single lancets to chancel and 2:3:2 lancets to nave. Baptistry has single lancet to east and west, and triple lancet to south. Interior: unplastered 4-bay nave with arch-braced trusses and 2 purlins, simple wind bracing; principals brought down to stone corbels. Windows in deep embrasures to flat segmental heads, quarry tile floors to walkways. Double-chamfered segmental-pointed chancel arch, boarded ceiling to chancel. North side has lancets with colonnette screen, walls plastered, decorative tile floor. Round stone carved pulpit on short marble columns, font west end of nave, C19 stained glass in all windows except south side nave by chancel arch: centenary glass by Jon Callan of Southwell, 1981; window formerly blocked by pipe organ, removed 1974. Former baptistry, now vestry, with boarded ceiling, heavy marble columns to responds, parclose screen moved forward into nave. Subsidiary features: boundary wall in rock-faced masonry to weathered coping; square gate piers to moulded pyramidal cappings opposite north porch, and simple trimmed opening at head of flight of steps to south side. Wall varies in height, is retaining structure for most of its length. Built, at a cost of »1900, as a memorial to lives lost in the wreck of 'Avalanche' and 'Forest' in September 1877, and usually known as 'the Avalanche church'. A model of 'Avalanche' set in to glazed recess north side of nave, and artefacts removed from the wreck displayed similarly in porch. A well-maintained building in a prominent position, and an important reminder of the former treachery of the coastline to sailors in these waters. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Newman J: Dorset: London: 1972-1989: 344).

Listing NGR: SY6868870180

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
381893
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 344

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15595/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Duncan Miller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].