TEMPLE MEADS STATION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1282106
Date first listed:
01-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
TEMPLE MEADS STATION, TEMPLE WAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of TEMPLE MEADS STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1282106 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 23:22:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
TEMPLE MEADS STATION, TEMPLE WAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 59749 72461

Details

BRISTOL

ST5972 TEMPLE WAY 901-1/42/292 (North East side) 01/11/66 Temple Meads Station

GV I

Railway station. 1865-78. By Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt. For Great Western Railway and Midland Railway. Additional platforms of 1930-5. Conglomerate with limestone dressings. Booking office with forward projecting screens to train sheds. Tudor Revival style. 2 storeys; 3-window range, with single storey; 19-window range to right and 17-window range to left. Booking office has a symmetrical crenellated front with lower angled side blocks and a central 2-stage tower, and octagonal turrets to the corners; ground-floor 4-centred arches have banded Purbeck marble shafts, a label mould with quatrefoil spandrels, and C20 doors; first floor has 6-light square-headed windows with transoms and cinquefoil heads, stilted labels over panels with quatrefoils over the middle window; a half-quatrefoil arcade below the parapet, with blind lancets to the merlons; the turrets have 2 crenellated courses below pyramidal tops. The tower has an arcade of engaged shafts which pass through the drip to pointed arches, under a large square panel and clock with a trefoil-headed blind arcade above. The shed screens have mullion and transom windows separated by octagonal buttresses, with a glazed cast-iron canopy all around the frontage. INTERIOR: high booking office of brick with octagonal tas-de-charges, but a C20 concrete ceiling; mezzanine with panelled ceiling and 4-centre arched windows with 4 lights and intersecting tracery. The main train shed has a 2-centred trussed roof with traceried arch braces on octagonal corbel shafts and black diaper work under the eaves. Further platforms of 1930-5 by PE Culverhouse have cream terracotta buildings with BRISTOL in glazed letters. HISTORICAL NOTE: the station was a joint venture between the Great Western Railway and the Midland Railway, and was originally called Bristol Joint Station. It had a steep French Empire roof to the tower, which was destroyed in the Second World War, and crockets to the turret tops. The later Temple Meads station uniquely shows, with the Bristol Old Station (qv) at Temple Meads, the growth of a major terminus over more than a century. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 348).

Listing NGR: ST5974972461

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
380663
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 348

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06592/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ruth Povey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].