CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1282109
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, ST MICHAELS HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1282109.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 13:24:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, ST MICHAELS HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 58516 73301

Details

BRISTOL

ST5873SE ST MICHAEL'S HILL 901-1/11/279 (West side) 08/01/59 Church of St Michael and attached railings

GV II*

Church. Mid C15 tower, church rebuilt 1775-77 by Thomas Paty. Coursed, squared Pennant rubble crypt, Pennant rubble with limestone dressings to the rest. Aisled nave, chancel, N and S porches and W tower. Perpendicular Gothic tower, Georgian Gothic Revival-style church. 3-light E window with intersecting tracery, and similar 2-light windows to the aisles, and a 2-light ogee-headed S chancel window; cornice to N and S of chancel, gabled aisles and nave. Cross arrow slits in the crypt; 5-bay N aisle has 2-light windows with intersecting tracery, and a cornice with small panels above and below between the windows; the W porch has a depressed ogee-arched doorway with an ogee hood and 2-leaf door with pointed panels; the NW vestry has depressed ogee-arched windows with 6/6-pane sashes and interlacing to the N and W. S aisle as the N, the porch having steps with curtail ends. The 4-stage tower has diagonal buttresses and a SE stair turret with a Tudor-arched door at the bottom; 4-centred arched W door with quatrefoils to the spandrels below a 3-light Perpendicular window with head stops; second and third stages have 2-light windows, blind to the quatrefoil heads, and dated 1811 on the S side; a belfry clock in a round moulding below 2-light windows with openwork, 2 gargoyles to the cornice, a crenellated parapet and pinnacles, with a crenellated spirelet to the stair turret. INTERIOR: Late C19 reredos of 4 arches and a central bay and low, pointed niches in the sides of the chancel; the pointed chancel arch has sunken panels in the soffit. 5-bay nave arcade of columns on tall pedestals with fluted capitals to a plain waggon roof and panelled beams to pilasters dividing the flat-ceilinged aisles; late C19 gallery at the W end. FITTINGS: C17 sword rest; C19 round stone pulpit with brackets to the bottom; octagonal font of 1886 with marble shafts, which replaced an urn with a marble basin by Thomas Paty of 1775; brass lectern with angels 1887. Memorials include a wall monument to Joseph Percivall d.1764, a sarcophagus on scrolled feet, bearing a plinth with 3 classical figures holding a likeness on a shield; wall mounument to Mary Stretton d.1791, an ogee-sided plinth and obelisk with a figure leaning on an urn; marble tablet to James Drew d.1835, a Gothic-style panel with octagonal attached columns and a trefoil parapet. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached iron railings. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 175; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 404; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 70).

Listing NGR: ST5851673301

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
380470
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 175
Ison, W, The Georgian Buildings of Bristol, (1952), 70
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 404

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16375/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].