FREEMASONS' HALL AND ATTACHED CAST IRON RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1282205

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: FREEMASONS' HALL AND ATTACHED CAST IRON RAILINGS, 17-31, PARK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FREEMASONS' HALL AND ATTACHED CAST IRON RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1282205 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 15:27:48.

Location

Statutory Address: FREEMASONS' HALL AND ATTACHED CAST IRON RAILINGS, 17-31, PARK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: ST5826572912

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5872NW PARK STREET 901-1/15/166 (South West side) 08/01/59 Nos.17-31 (Odd) Freemasons' Hall and attached cast-iron railings (Formerly Listed as: PARK STREET (South West side) Nos.17-31 (Odd) Freemasons Hall)

GV II*

Institute, now hall. 1821-3. By SR Cockerell. RS Pope Clerk of Works. Limestone ashlar with a C20 copper-clad roof. Rectangular plan. Neoclassical style. 2 storeys, basement and attic; 11-window range, 5-windows to the left return. A corner site with a ground-floor sill band, first-floor frieze and shallow cornice, and second-floor cornice and parapet; incised panels between the floors, and shallow second-floor pilasters paired at the ends of each elevation. A curved corner has a deep curved tetrastyle-in-antis porch with Temple of the Winds capitals to an entablature, and a coffered ceiling. The doorway beneath has a tall architrave with a console cornice, plate-glass overlight and 8-panel door. Above is a carved panel of Grecian figures by EH Baily. Windows with architraves, eared with cornices on the ground floor, and tripartite first-floor corner window, to 6/6-pane horned sashes. Later right-hand 3-window block with a doorway and square panels on the first floor. C20 attic set back behind the parapet. To the rear of the right return is a full-height bow with a ground-floor window. INTERIOR not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings and gates with bud finials between columns and to raised projecting basement area to the left return. Originally the Philosophical and Literary Institution, housing lecture room, galleries and library; the interior has been destroyed. Restoration after war damage removed much depth from the detailing, but this is still an impressive design making an important contribution to the street (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 247; Crick C: Victorian Buildings in Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 1).

Listing NGR: ST5826572912

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 380116

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Crick, C , Victorian Buildings in Bristol, (1975), 1
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 247

End of official listing