CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CORN STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1282313.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 12:50:39.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CORN STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 58880 73030
ST5873SE CORN STREET, Centre 901-1/11/575 (South side) 08/01/59 Church of All Saints (Formerly Listed as: CORN STREET (South side) Church of All Saints with the Glebe House)
Church, now study centre. Early C12 west end of nave, C15 east nave and aisles, 1716 north-east tower by William Paul, completed by George Townesend, lantern rebuilt by Luke Henwood in 1807, chancel rebuilt mid C19. Pennant rubble and Bath stone ashlar. C12 west nave; C15 work forms an unclerestoreyed hall church, with W aisled nave; chancel and NE tower. The two W nave bays are Norman, the remaining are Perpendicular Gothic; early Georgian tower. 5-light E window is hidden by adjoining buildings. The base of the 4-stage tower has pilasters with moulded caps flanking a round-arched window, surrounded by rustication, within a larger arch with coved reveals and a key; a 3-light segmental-arched window to the second stage within an open segmental pediment on pilasters, and a 3-light Perpendicular-style third-stage window, with a hood and head stops; the tall belfry has a raised louvred oculus set in a sunken panel; at the top a balustrade with corner urns surrounds a raised octagonal cupola with paired Corinthian shafts to an entablature, which breaks back over tall open arches, with urns above; dome with ball and urn finial and a gilded ball and cross. The S chancel has three 3-light windows with square stops, set within the traces of a larger window, with door with a timber label in between. Mid C15 three-bay N elevation, a weathered plinth with buttresses rising through an open quatrefoil parapet to crocketed pinnacles, large 4-light windows with cinquefoil heads, and a corbel table above a blind trefoil band; S elevation c1420 has 3-light windows with transoms, head stops to hoodmoulds and offset buttresses. The C15 W end has a pointed doorway with splayed reveals and Tudor roses in hollow mouldings, and a label mould with angel stops and traceried spandrels; buttresses either side, and a band of sunken quatrefoil panels in between above the door; above is a rebuilt Perpendicular 6-light window. INTERIOR: mid-C19 reredos of 3 cusped arches with deep bays behind, ogee crocketed hoods and angels with scrolls to the spandrels, divided by pinnacle buttresses; late C19 piscina and 3 sedilia in a similar style; the hood to the E window runs into gable-hooded panels to each side; to the N is a painted doorway with head stops and a ribbed door to the organ loft, and a panelled timber oriel with Tudor flowers. The mid C19 chancel arch has 3 attached shafts; 5-bay nave arcade, the three E bays have piers with attached shafts, foliate capitals and pointed arches, the two W bays have stout Norman piers with wide scalloped capitals and square-section semicircular arches to a W respond; braced collar beam roof. The N aisle has a moulded arch dying in to the jambs at the E end, enclosing the organ, and a drip mould below with dragon stops and Tudor flowers; the N windows continue down into an arcade of blind panels with cinquefoil heads; at the Norman end of the nave, the aisles were built over in the early C15, forming what is now the coffee shop to the N and Glebe House (qv) to the S; at the W end of the narrower S aisle is a trefoil-headed window to Glebe House. FITTINGS: choir stalls with open front desks and poppy heads and traceried bench ends; late C17 communion table; arms of Charles ll; stone steps up to an octagonal pulpit with Perpendicular panels and angel brackets. Memorials: various late C18 and C19 memorials including a wall tablet to William Clutterbuck d.1708, a panel with drapes, apron, sides and a scrolled top; a painted marble cartouche to Hester Becher d.1714, a heart-shaped panel with leaves and winged cherub's heads below and to the top; wall tablet to Francis Wall d.1761, a pedimented panel below a cartouche and obelisk; and a large dresser tomb to Edward Colston d.1721 designed by James Gibbs, a grey marble plinth carrying a finely-carved recumbent figure of a man on his elbow by Rysbrack, in front of a Tuscan aedicule with side pilasters, a bay-leaf frieze a pediment with children at the ends and a cartouche; wall tablet to Mrs Tooth Blisset d.1805, by Flaxman, a half-reclining figure under a segmental arch with pointed hoodmould. The Norman work is most important surviving in a Bristol church (Gomme). The tower replaced a medieval one. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 13, 159, 121, 163; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 386; The Church of All Saints, Bristol: Bristol; Smith M Q: The Medieval Churches of Bristol: Bristol: 5, 21).
Listing NGR: ST5888073030
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
The Church of All Saints Bristol Church Guide
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 13
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 159
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 121
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 163
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 386
Smith, M Q , The Medieval Churches of Bristol
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing