CHURCH OF ST PETER
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER, LICH GATES
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1282467.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2021 at 13:56:49.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER, LICH GATES
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- City of Wolverhampton (Metropolitan Authority)
- Non Civil Parish
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 91426 98793
SO9198NW LICH GATES 895-1/11/248 (East side) 16/07/49 Church of St Peter
Church. Late C13 crossing and south transept; late C15 nave, tower and north transept; chancel and restoration, 1852-65, by E.Christian. Ashlar with lead roofs. Cruciform plan: 4-bay apsed chancel, crossing tower and 6-bay aisled nave, 2-storey south porch and 2-storey vestry to north. 4-bay chancel and 7-bay apse, in Decorated style, articulated by offset buttresses with crocketed gables and gargoyles to cornice below openwork parapet, has 2-light windows to apse and 3-light windows with flowing tracery to chancel. 3-stage tower has north-east stair turret, panels with quinquefoil heads and quatrefoil friezes and embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles; 2-light windows to 2nd stage, paired 2-light bell openings to top stage. North transept has offset buttresses, embattled parapet and C17 round-headed windows to north and east with large central mullion. South transept has angle buttresses and embattled parapet, 5-light east window, and 3-light south window with 3 two-light square-headed transomed clerestory windows above and 2 to west, all with Perpendicular tracery. North aisle has 3-light windows with segmental- pointed heads and Perpendicular tracery between buttresses, embattled parapet. South aisle similar, with 4-light windows. Vestry has embattled parapet and varied square-headed windows of one, 2 or 3 lights. 2-storey porch has angle buttresses and panelled embattled parapet with pinnacles, entrance with moulded arch, sundial above, 2-light square-headed window to 1st floor. West facade has entrance of 2 orders under crocketed ogee hood, enriched cornice and 4-light Decorated window also under crocketed ogee hood; panelled buttresses and gabled aisles, 3-light window to north and 4-light window to south. Clerestory has paired Perpendicular 2-light square-headed transomed windows and panelled embattled parapet. INTERIOR: vaulted ceiling to apse with angel and square foliate capitals to shafts and angels to cornice; hammer-beam roof to chancel has angel corbels with angels to brattished cornice; crossing has C17 beams to late C19 painted ceiling; transepts have late C15 moulded tie-beam roofs; 5-bay Perpendicular nave arcades on octagonal piers, and C15 nave roof with carved spandrels to moulded tie beams, panelled ceiling with bosses. Fittings: chancel stalls have traceried fronts and angel finials; crossing has C19 timber screen to north, similar to C15 screen to south with open tracery and C15 shafts supporting brattished cornice; north transept has C19 Decorated style screen; screen to south transept has C15 shafts and blind tracery panels below open-work upper panels, C19 brattished cornice; nave has C15 panelled stone pulpit on shaft with stair winding round pier and parapet with crouching lion to foot; late C17 west gallery, much altered; late C19 two-stage internal timber porch in Decorated style with openwork tracery and figures under crocketed canopies. Some C15 stalls from Lilleshall Abbey. Memorials: north transept: chest tomb to Thomas Lane d.1582, carved balusters and figures and armorial bearings to sides, 2 finely carved recumbent effigies; wall monument to John Lane d.1667, a distinguished soldier instrumental in the rescue of Charles II, is in marble and alabaster and has inscribed panel in Ionic aedicule with garlanded scrolls and heraldic cartouche in swan-necked pediment flanked by cannon, and projecting base has finely carved trophy of arms with crown in oak tree to left; south transept has bronze figure and cherubs from monument to Admiral Leveson, c1635, by Le Seur, and chest tomb to John Leveson d.1575 and wife, with spiral corner balusters, figures and armorial shields to sides, finely carved recumbent effigies; north aisle has wall tablet to Henry Bracegirdle d.1702, inscribed panel in Doric aedicule, painted board to William Walker d.1634 and other C19/early C20 wall tablets including George Thorneycroft d.1851 and South African war memorial. Stained glass by C.E.Kempe to south aisle and good east window to south transept. (The Buildings of England: N.Pevsner: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: 314-5).
Listing NGR: SO9141698792
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 18 January 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 314 5
War Memorials Register, accessed 18 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/17660
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing