CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1282492
Date first listed:
20-Jun-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
31-Mar-1992
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1282492.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2021 at 10:30:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Wolverhampton (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 94992 96518

Details

WOLVERHAMPTON

SO9496 CHURCH STREET, Bilston 895-1/15/7 (North side) 20/06/52 Church of St Leonard

GV II

Church. 1825-6. By Francis Goodwin; restored, 1882-3, by Ewan Christian. Stucco with parapeted roof. Neo-classical style influenced by Soane. Nave with canted chancel apse and west tower. West facade of 5 bays, end and centre bays breaking forward; top entablature and coped parapet; centre has angle pilasters; round-headed upper windows have archivolts and impost band, small-paned glazing, central window in round-headed recess; central entrance has porch with channelled rustication, angle pilasters and entablature, eared architrave and iron gates; inner angles have cast iron plinths with short columns, possibly for lamps, and lettering: ANNO DOMINI/ 1826/ FRANCIS GOODWIN/ ARCHITECT; paired inner doors; flanking square windows and end entrances in eared architraves; tower has canted angles on base with Greek key and 4 finials; paired fluted pilaster strips to angles and fluted frieze and cornice; round-headed louvred bell openings with clock faces above; top domical vault with enriched wrought iron cresting and weather vane. 6-bay north and south elevations have end bays breaking forward and tall round-headed windows; east end has recessed canted angles and canted apse; east window. INTERIOR: mostly by Christian; shallow segmental vault with Greek relief motifs; galleries to 3 sides with balustraded parapets; east end has Ionic columns flanking apse. Font, 1673, with shallow, fluted bowl; some early C19 wall monuments including Mrs Riley (d.1835) by William Weale, medallion and drapery; Mrs Willim (d.1834), standing figure by altar. (Shell County Guides: Thorold H: Staffordshire: London: 1978-: P.60-61; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: P.70).

Listing NGR: SO9499296518

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
378366
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 70
Thorold, H, 'Shell County Guides' in Staffordshire, (1978), 60-61

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15262/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Garratt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].