METHODIST CHAPEL AND YOUTH CENTRE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1282835
Date first listed:
03-Sep-1973
Date of most recent amendment:
09-Jun-1995
Statutory Address:
METHODIST CHAPEL AND YOUTH CENTRE, A39

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1282835.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Mar-2021 at 15:49:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
METHODIST CHAPEL AND YOUTH CENTRE, A39

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Lynton and Lynmouth
National Park:
EXMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SS 71649 47683

Details

LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH

SS74NW A39, Barbrook 858-1/2/51 (South East side) 03/09/73 Methodist Chapel and Youth Centre (Formerly Listed as: LYNTON BARBROOK Youth Centre)

GV II

Methodist chapel with schoolroom, and attached manse. Chapel 1870, house possibly later C19, hall (now dormitories) 1907. The chapel is in slate-stone and granite rubble with a slate roof; to its left the lower block is in squared and coursed rubble with brick dressings and slate roof, and the link plus the house, to the right, is in rubble with brick dressings and slate roof. PLAN: the chapel is raised on the schoolroom, and approached by an external staircase; to its left is a hall set gable to the street, with returned link to the left gable of the chapel. The house has a lofty and narrow block set gable to the street and raised on a terrace, with a lower link building to the right gable of the chapel. EXTERIOR: the chapel is in 3 bays, on 2 storeys, with 4 buttresses, rendered in the upper half, with 2 offsets, and 3 wide lancets with cast-iron small-scale diamond-paned glazing to cusped heads; below are 2 plank doors with plain transom lights and 3 plain casements; blocked window above entrance door. Between floors is a chamfered offset, and the eaves has a prominent projecting gutter. An inset stone records that it was laid by Mr John Glidden, 5 July 1870. To the left is a rubble gable above the deep swept-down roof over a recessed door and 3-light casement. The brought forward gable end has a large 4-light casement with transom to a segmental head. The return wall is in rubble, and there is a cropped stack to the left of the door. The house has a principal front facing SW (to the right) in 2 storeys with part semi-basement, with 3 windows, large plain sashes, with central door. The gable to the street has a tripartite plain sash to the top floor, and a deeper one at the first floor, above a central door with small flanking sashes. Various brick bands and terracotta enrichments, and the gable has a scalloped barge-board. This is linked to the chapel by a lower unit, set back, in 3 storeys, rendered, with a 2-light casement above a door with margin-pane glazing, the main entry to the chapel at the head of the steps, and 2 other casements. INTERIOR: house not inspected. The chapel is in 4 bays, ceiled to a flat pitch, and with no visible tie or collar; in the 2nd bay is a cast-iron vent. The plain plastered walls have a matchboard dado. The pews seem to be original, and at the rear each last pew is approached through a door from the lobby, and the reading desk has stairs with a cast-iron double-S balustrade to a swept mahogany handrail. 5 steps rise to a small gabled inner pew, with a 6-panel door. The hall, divided into 2 for small dormitories, has an arch-braced, boarded roof, with a large window also to the rear gable.

Listing NGR: SS7164947683

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
376480
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09137/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Robins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].