CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1283013
Date first listed:
24-Apr-1987
Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, LLOYD STREET NORTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1283013 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2019 at 01:24:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, LLOYD STREET NORTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Manchester (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 84414 95852

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ89NW LLOYD STREET NORTH, Moss Side 698-1/4/758 (West side) 24/04/87 Christ Church

II*

Church. 1896-1904, by Cecil Hardisty; dated 1896 on plaque at east end. Glazed red brick with red sandstone dressings and steeply pitched slate roof. Free late Gothic style with Arts and Crafts features. Nave and full-height chancel, north aisle to nave with mono-pitched roof, south aisle to both nave and aisle with pitched roof concealed by parapet, west porch with corner bellcote. String course stepped and carried round. The west end has a 3-bay single-storey porch with narrow buttresses flanking the centre finished as octagonal pinnacles rising through a parapet which has a traceried open-work panel in the centre, a segmental-headed doorway to the centre with a lettered banner above, and in each outer bay a low depressed arched window of 2 cusped lights with mouchette and dagger tracery; above the porch, paired 3-light windows (concealed by scaffold screens at time of survey); and a coped gable, the left corner carried up to a stone bellcote with stone chequer-board patterning below the opening. The aisles have buttresses and large arched 3-light windows with cusped lights and elaborate Arts-and-Crafts tracery, except that to the south side of the chancel which has 2-light windows in the side and a 4-light window in the east end, with emphatic tracery. The east gable has a plaque with a central cross, and Gothic lettering "Ad Gloriam Dei" above, "A. MDCC" to the left and "CXCVI D" to the right, and "Jacobus Moorhouse STP/Episcopus/ posuit " below; a large 7-light traceried window, chequer-board patterning above this and a parapet with traceried stone panels at the corners. Interior (as reported 24.04.87): 4-bay aisle arcades of octagonal columns without capitals and tall pointed and chamfered arches; steps up to 3-bay chancel with south arcade and clerestory; low stone wall between nave and chancel, incorporating pulpit; wooden barrel roofs; west gallery; polygonal font with marble columns; fine reredos and lectern by G.F.Bodley (from church of St Edward, Holbeck, Leeds); organ case by Oldrid Scott (from church of St Peter, Northampton).

Listing NGR: SJ8441495852

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
388287
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/04782/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mike Widdas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].