CHETHAMS HOSPITAL AND ATTACHED WALL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- CHETHAMS HOSPITAL AND ATTACHED WALL, LONG MILLGATE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1283015 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Jul-2019 at 13:22:21.
- Statutory Address:
- CHETHAMS HOSPITAL AND ATTACHED WALL, LONG MILLGATE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Manchester (Metropolitan Authority)
- Non Civil Parish
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 83912 98905
SJ8398NE LONG MILLGATE 698-1/26/225 (West side) 25/02/52 Chetham's Hospital and attached wall (Formerly Listed as: FENNEL STREET)
College of the Collegiate Parish Church of Manchester, now music school. Established 1422 by Thomas de la Warre; converted after Dissolution in 1547 for use as town house by Earl of Derby; sequestrated during Commonwealth, purchased in 1654 by Humphrey Chetham's executors for adaptation as charity school ("hospital") and library; restored and enlarged 1883-95 by Oliver Heywood and Charles James Heywood. Coursed squared red sandstone, with some dressings of grey gritstone (probably C19), and stone slate roofs. Small cloistered quadrangle with former Fellows' sets in north, south and west ranges, Great Hall and former Warden's rooms in east range, long east wing continued from north range containing former kitchen, hospitium, bakehouse (etc.) with short returned end linked to gatehouse; C19 parallel addition to rear of this wing. Perpendicular style, with 4-centred arched openings and foiled lights to the windows. Two storeys but with Great Hall and kitchen open to full height, basement under north range. The GREAT HALL has three large cross-windows at a high level, with cinquefoil cusping to the lights, a low 2-light "dole" window to the left (the dais end), and an added 2-storey porch at the north end in the angle with the east wing, covering the doorways to the screens passage and to the kitchen, with a doorway in each side, 2-light windows on both floors and a small cusped niche in the gable with crocketed canopy on mask corbels. The SOLAR END of the hall range (former Warden's rooms, now Audit Room with Reading Room over), 2 storeys and 3 bays, has a projecting and gabled centre with a drip-band between floors and a crocketed niche in the apex, 2-light windows at ground floor, and 2- 3- and 2-light windows at 1st floor. The roof of this range has a small octagonal chimney at the junction of hall and solar, and a gable chimney. The south gable has 4-centred arched 2-light windows forward of the chimney, and square-headed mullioned windows to the rear. The SOUTH RANGE projects, has a moulded 4-centred arched doorway offset left, small square-headed mullioned windows of 2, 1 and 2 cusped lights at ground floor, and 6 large later C17 3-light mullioned windows at 1st floor. Attached to the south-west corner of this range is part of the original BOUNDARY WALL of the site, approx. 2m high on the inner side, with pitched coping. Inside the QUADRANGLE, the 2-storey 6-bay west cloister has buttresses, 3-light windows at ground floor (the 2nd with an inserted doorway) and 2-light windows in alternate bays at 1st floor; the 3-bay north and south cloisters are similar except that a C17 stair-turret in the north-east corner replaces the 3rd bay of the north cloister; and the west side of the hall has a rebuilt skewed polygonal inglenook, and an oriel window and staircase contiguous with this to the right. The long EAST WING (to the right of the porch) has double drip-bands between floors, windows coupled at ground floor of the kitchen and tripled above, all of 2 cusped lights except that to the left at 1st floor where the porch covers the first light (visible internally), and those at ground floor with hoodmoulds; the continuation to the right has six 2-light windows at 1st floor, with trefoil lights, and windows (w) and doorways (d) at ground floor arranged w-d-d-w-w-d-w-w-d, all with hoodmoulds, the first of these doorways opening onto a passage which runs through to a platform at the rear. (These openings do not match those shown on the plan in the VCH; and the grey gritstone surrounds differ from those of some unaltered windows at the rear, suggesting that they are mostly restored, and some probably altered as well: e.g. the first window to the right of the kitchen has the rebate of a former doorway on the inside). The roof has a small bellcote and 2 octagonal chimneys. The 2-bay return at the east end, canted back slightly, has a moulded drip-band (at a lower level than the bands of the main range), two 3-light windows at ground floor and one above, and an external stone staircase dog-legged round the south corner and mounting the gable wall to a doorway at 1st floor of the gatehouse. The GATEHOUSE is 2-storeyed, steeply gabled, and has a moulded 4-centred archway through the ground floor, a small inserted or altered window above and a 4-centred arched doorway to the left of this; and its outer face, an early C19 rebuild, has an oriel window at 1st floor. The rear of the east wing has (inter alia) a massive external chimney stack to the kitchen (with inscription "Rebuilt 1902"), a corbelled garderobe, and a stone platform to the rear of the through-passage. INTERIOR: cavetto-moulded beams, and collar-rafter roofs with arch-braced principals and super-imposed collar purlins, throughout; hall has very large dais canopy at south end with brattished cornice, massive inglenook fireplace in west wall (altered), and tripartite oak screens at north end with moulded rails and brattished tops; screens passage has coupled 2-centred arched service doorways; cloisters have similar doorways to former Fellows' sets, some coupled; stair-turret off north cloister has splat-baluster staircase; Audit Room has muntin-and-rail panelling, moulded plaster floriated frieze, and beams with carved bosses; Reading Room has similar panelling, cavetto moulded wall-plate with portcullis and eagle's claw emblems of Derby family, and very large elaborate tympanum including carved cartouche with helm and mantling, cockerell, etc.; and segmental-vaulted ceiling (inserted before 1654). Kitchen (now Music Library) has fireplace approx. 7m wide with horizontal lintel of joggled blocks under segmental arch approx. 4m high, and in east wall a smaller opening with similar joggled lintel under 2-centred arch (probably also a fireplace); rooms to east of passage have low 2-centred arches in transverse walls.
Listing NGR: SJ8391298905
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.