Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1283114.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 22:00:37.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TM 19139 65913


KENTON CHURCH LANE TM 16 NE 1/133 Church of All Saints 29.7.55 - II*

Parish church. Medieval. South aisle added in early C16 as private chapel for Garneys family. Restored 1871-2 by E. Hakewill. Nave, south nave aisle, chancel, west tower, north and south porches. Flint rubble with stone dressings. Aisle is of red brick with diaperwork in dark headers. Nave and chancel have plaintiled roofs, the aisle roof leaded. Late C14/early C15 square 2-stage tower with 3-stage diagonal buttresses to west; rebuilt crenellated parapet decorated with stone circles linked by a horizontal band. Unmoulded west doorway; above is a 2-light window and at ringing chamber level a trefoil-headed lancet window. 2-light belfry openings. Nave has a late C12 core with original north and south doorways. The south doorway has one order of colonnettes with crocket capitals (one renewed) and a semi-circular keel-moulded arch; medieval door (repaired). The north doorway has a plain semi-circular arch. Nave windows, 2 to north, one to south, all renewed 1871: the lights have tall trefoil heads with quatrefoils or cinquefoils above; stilted arches. C15 south porch with knapped flint facade, the entrance arch enriched with 2 orders of crowns and flower motifs; jambs renewed. 2-bay aisle with 2-light hoodmoulded brick windows; 3-light east window. West entrance from inside porch: 4-centre arched brick doorway with original door. North porch of 1871. Chancel has 3 broad lancet windows (2 to north, one to south) and a square-headed C15 window partly blocked by the aisle. Altered Priest's doorway. East window of 1871 in Early English style: a group of 3 lancets with a circular window above but no containing arch. Interior. Nave has a scissor-braced coupled-rafter roof of 1871, with re-used moulded tie beam carrying a C19 crown-post. C15 cornice. Chancel roof also renewed 1871; boarded ceiling. 2-bay aisle arcade; original aisle roof. Elaborate chancel arch of 1871, in C13 style: the arch is carried on a large marble shaft surrounded by 3 smaller ones, with foliage capitals and spreading leaves at the base. East window has cusped surround supported on colonnettes, all of 1871. Rood loft stair rises from sill of north east nave window. Against the stair is a C15 statue niche with cusped ogee arch and carved shields in the spandrels. Font has C13 octagonal bowl of Purbeck marble with 2 shallow-arched panels on each face; shaft and base of 1871, replacing a C15 shaft now in the aisle. At west end of nave is a C16 bench withbalustraded bookrest dated 1595. Nave poppyhead benches are of 1871. South wall of aisle has niche with remains of original colouring. For further notes see Church Guide, 1986.

Listing NGR: TM1913965913


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
All Saints Kenton Church Guide, (1986)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/07547/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Whitehouse. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].