CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1283304
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1283304.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:30:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Debenham
National Grid Reference:
TM 17445 63208

Details

TM 16 SE, 6/93

DEBENHAM, HIGH STREET (east side)

Church of St Mary

09.12.55

GV

I

Parish church. Medieval, restored 1871 (nave) and 1883-4 (chancel). Aisled nave, chancel, west tower, Galilee porch with former guild chapel over. Flint rubble, stone dressings. South aisle and facade of porch faced in knapped flint. Slated roofs to nave and chancel, aisle roofs leaded. Square unbuttressed tower, substantially of c.1100, with herringbone flintwork and long and short work to quoins; 2 lancet windows to south. Late C14 rebuilding at top: 2-light belfry openings, embattled stone parapet. A spire was removed in mid C17. Late C14 Galilee porch: buttresses to west face contain statue niches, with a 3rd niche over the moulded entrance arch; all original stonework is much weathered. Restored C17 entrance gates with turned balusters. Good moulded doorway into base of tower with original doors. C15 4-bay south aisle has flushwork to buttresses and an embattled parapet with 3 pinnacles. To south, renewed 3-light windows and at west end a doorway with enriched arch and shield-carved spandrels, partly renewed C19. Renewed 4- light east window. C15 4-bay north aisle with renewed windows and moulded doorway. 8-bay clerestorey with 3-light windows. Nave has 3-light gable window to east. Mid C13 3-bay chancel, considerably restored C19. Lancet windows to north, 2 renewed. 2-light windows with plate tracery to south. Priest's doorway has one order of colonnettes. East window of 1883 has 3 grouped lancets.

INTERIOR. Fine 4-bay aisle arcades with richly-carved capitals. Chancel arch, raised in C15, has similar capitals. Circa 1100 tower arch to west, the imposts with a simple incised geometric design. Arch to east rebuilt. C15 nave roof is in 8 bays: alternate tie beams and hammer beams, both embattled, from which spring short moulded arched braces. Moulded principals, purlins and ridge piece; embattled cornice. 5 mutilated angel corbels at foot of wallposts, the remainder lost. At east end the moulded and embattled rood beam. Original aisle roofs. Scissor-braced rafter roof of 1884 over chancel. Rood loft stair at north east corner of south aisle. Chancel piscina has pointed trefoil arch on colonnettes with crocketted gable above. Piscina in north aisle re-uses many carved stone fragments. C15 octagonal font bowl with mutilated carving. C19 pyramidal font cover. Early C17 carved pulpit on C19 stone base. Set of poppyhead benches of 1871. 2 good monuments. In south chancel, Sir Charles Framlingham (1595) and his wife: full-size recumbent effigies on carved tomb chest. 2 hatchments above. In south aisle, Rev. John Simpson (1697). For further details of these monuments see Pevsner.

Listing NGR: TM1744563208

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
281517
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1961)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/06087/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Routen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].