CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1283509.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:03:17.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
- Kington St. Michael
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 90383 77196
KINGTON ST MICHAEL KINGTON ST MICHAEL VILLAGE
13/129 Church of St Michael
Parish Church, C12 and C13 with west tower of 1725 and north aisle of 1755, restored 1857-8 by J.H. Hakewill. Rubble stone with stone slate roofs and coped gables. West tower, gabled nave and aisles, south porch, chancel and vestry. 1725 tower is ashlar, 3-stage with stopped, curved-fronted diagonal buttresses up to bell-stage, 2-light Y-tracery bell-openings, infilled in pierced ashlar, pierced parapet and pinnacles to angles and centre each side. C18 lead hopper-head on south side. South side has ground floor depressed-arch door with hoodmould and cusped 2-light over. Nave east gable has small sanctus bellcote. South aisle has corbel table and ashlar corners, apparently C12 but late C13 fenestration, C19 three-light west window, original 2-light south windows with cinquefoil over, one each side of porch, and 3-light east window. with large cinquefoiled circle head, probably C19. Large stone- slated porch is ashlar-fronted with thin neo-Norman arch, mid C19, plastered within with c1700 plaque, stone seats and jambs of C12 door, two tall shafts with carved caps. Door and door head are C15 or C16. Chancel has corner flat buttressings, south side cusped lancet and C15 two-light flat-headed window, east end large 3-light C19 window and north cusped lancet. C19 vestry in angle to north aisle. North aisle has large 3-light windows, long lights, pointed centre, arched each side under Tudor-arched head with hoodmould, more C17 than 1755 in appearance. One window each end, 2 to north side and blocked Tudor-arched centre door. Interior: Nave has 3-bay arcades of pointed arches, circular columns with spurred circular bases and moulded circular caps to north, circular columns with octagonal caps to south. C19 roof. Bead-moulded pointed C18 tower arch. South aisle has C19 roof, cusped piscina and circular font. North aisle has king-post and angle strut roof. Chancel arch is much-restored Norman, very wide with zig-zag meeting at angle in lozenge pattern. Nook-shafts. Chancel has c1874 wind-braced roof, cusped rear arches to north openings, one south with dog-tooth ornament. Cusped piscina. C19 arcaded reredos. Stained glass: east window 1875 by Cox and Sons, one south lancet of 1857 by Gibbs, south aisle east window brightly coloured glass of 1857 to the antiquarians John Aubrey and John Britton, one south window of 1891 and west window of 1894. Monuments: in north aisle, north east angle fine marble plaque to F. White died 1707, on north wall marble plaque to I. Gale died 1795 by Tyley of Bath, plaques to J. Gastrell died 1678, N. Gastrell died 1662, and to J. Gilpin died 1766. On west wall, plaques to William Coleman of Kington Langley died 1738, R. Glenn died 1775 and Israel Lyte of Easton Piers died 1661. In south aisle, plaque to J. Hitchcock died 1820, signed S. King of Castle Combe and Baroque plaque to D. Yealfe, died 1779. (W. Lewis The Church Rambler 1878 2 501-16; Wilts. Arch. Mag. 4 1857 36-134; N. Pevsner', Wiltshire 1975 281; W. Plomer ed Kilvert's Diaries 1969 3 89, 150)
Listing NGR: ST9038377196
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Lewis, , The Church Rambler, (1878), 501-16
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975), 281
Plomer, W, Kilverts Diaries, (1969), 89, 150
'Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine' in Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine, , Vol. 4, (1857), 36-134
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing