CHURCH OF ST EDITH OF WILTON

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1283631
Date first listed:
23-Mar-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDITH OF WILTON, BAVERSTOCK LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EDITH OF WILTON
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1283631.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:09:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDITH OF WILTON, BAVERSTOCK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Dinton
National Grid Reference:
SU 02873 31585

Details

SU 03 SW DINTON BAVERSTOCK LANE (east side)

1/142 Church of St Edith of Wilton 23.3.60

GV II*

Anglican parish church. C14, C15, restored 1880-93 by William Butterfield. Dressed limestone, tiled roofs. Nave and chancel under same roof, west tower, south porch, north transept and vestry. Gabled south porch with Tudor-arched doorway, scratch dial to left, coped verge with cross finial. Nave has 2-light pointed Perpendicular window with hoodmould, to left and right of porch, buttress with offset. Chancel has two 2-light pointed Perpendicular windows, east end has buttresses with offsets, 2- light C14 window with ogee cusping and single cusped ogee-headed light over. Lean-to vestry to north side has shouldered chamfered doorway and 2 quatrefoils. North transept has Welsh slate roof, 3- light Perpendicular window with hoodmould and quatrefoil over, early C19 Tudor-arched doorway with hoodmould to west side. North side of nave has 2-light pointed Perpendicular window with hoodmould. West 3-stage tower has diagonal buttresses, 2-light C15 square-headed window with cusped lights, inserted into blocked doorway, single ogee-headed light over, bellstage has 2-light square-headed louvred window with cusped lights to north, west and south sides, cavetto-moulded cornice to plain stone parapet with saddleback coping. Interior: Porch has arch-braced collar rafter roof, plain chamfered round-arched inner doorway with C19 door, C15 stoup set in east warn of porch to right of door, tiled inscription frieze records restoration, paid-for by Marianne Charrington. Nave has 4- bay wagon roof, rendered walls with C19 pink and blue tiled dado, polychrome tiled floor. Tower arch closed by C19 timber screen with crenellated top. Chancel screen in Perpendicular style by Butterfield, chancel has 1½ bay panelled vaulted ceiling, tiled floor and dado, arched door to vestry, piscina and one-seat sedilia on south window sill, polychrome-tiled reredos set in stone panels, Medieval coffin lid with relief-carved crosses set in floor either side of altar. Other fittings include pews, pulpit and lectern by Butterfield, restored C13 font in tower. North transept has early C19 box pews and white marble tablets by Osmond of Sarum to Powells of Hurdcott House, good pink marble cartouche in Elizabethan style to John Leech of Hurdcott House, died 1862, north window stained glass signed by Gibbs and Howard of London, in memory of Alexander Powell died 1882. Stained glass in east window by Gibbs, west window signed by G.E.R. Smith, in memory of Guy Harding died 1944. Monuments in tower include marble to Rev. Hitchens died 1827 by Osmond of Sarum, gothic-style tablet in nave by Osmond off Sarum to Rev. Earle died 1839. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: SU0287331585

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
320728
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jun 2003
Reference: IOE01/10702/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Anne Thomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].