Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1283820.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:24:07.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Babergh (District Authority)
Stratford St. Mary
National Grid Reference:
TM 05221 34610


TM 0534 STRATFORD ST MARY B1029 (south side) 5/14 Church of St Mary 22.2.55 GV I Church. C14 chancel with later alterations. C15 nave aisles. C16 clerestory, northchancel chapel and porch, the latter dated 1532. Tower C15-C16 largely rebuilt C19. Restoration 1876-9 by H Woodyer. Knapped flint with ashlar dres- sings. Plain tile chancel roof, rest concealed. West tower, 4-bay aisled nave with north porch and 2-bay chancel with north and south chapels. 3-stage tower with stair to north-west angle. Ashlar plinth, offset diagonal buttresses, string course to each stage. 3-light bell stage with intersecting tracery beneath gables. Angle pinnacles and flushwork embattled parapet. Similar parapet to clerestory, aisles and chancel chapels. Nave: plinth, offset buttresses. South aisle renewed 4-centred Perpendicular traceried windows under flushwork arches. North aisle: flushwork inscription to donor: ORATE PRO ANIMABUS THOME MORS ET MARGARETE UXORIS EJUS QUI ESTIAM ALAM FFIERI FE (VERUNT ANNO DNI MCCCC LXXXXVLIII) latter part obscured by later porch. At higher level an alphabet in flushwork. Further inscriptions to buttresses. 4-centred restored Perpendicular traceried windows, hoodmoulds with headstops under flushwork arches. String course and gargoyles. Porch: ashlar plinth, flushwork walls. Offset diagonal buttresses with cusped ogee niches and embattled parapet with angle pinnacles and date shield to centre 1532 JS. 4-centred moulded arch with colonnettes to inner order under square label, encircled quatrefoils with shields and mouchettes in spandrels. Surmounted by a niche with cusped nodding ogee arch flanked by pinnacles. Con- tinuously-moulded side arches originally open, now blocked by traceried windows of 1876-9. Nave north door continuously-moulded with slender colonette supporting central order of arch under restored square label with enriched spandrels. Clerestory: 4-centred 2-light Perpendicular windows with transoms, flushwork walls. Gabled chancel with east window of 1876-9, offset diagonal buttresses. North aisle inscribed to donor: PRAYE FOR THE SOULLYS OF EDWARD MORS AND ALYS HIS WIFE AND ALL CRYTEN SOWLLYS ANNO DOMINI 1530. 4-centred Perpendicular traceried east window. South aisle: 4-centred panelled Perpendicular traceried east window. Interior: nave arcades diagonally-set square piers on tall bases with hollow- moulded polygonal shafts to nave and aisles and colonnettes to east and west with capitals. Wide mouldings between shafts run into arches without capitals, 4-centred arcade. Hoodmoulds with ogee apexes which rise into shafts to clere- story level. Half-octagonal shafts rise from the arcade piers to capitals at clerestory level and support the short posts and arch braces of the roof. Similar detailing to aisles. Stringcourse, splayed clerestory. C19 chancel arch, stairs to rood loft survive to south. Chancel: similar detailing to nave. Cusped ogee piscina. Parclose screens incorporating some medieval fabric. Medieval grave slab. Black ledger slab to south chapel dated 1698 with hatchment of Nicolas Brage and another to Robert Clarke d.1731. Nave roof cambered with moulded ridge piece, purlins and joists, tie beams with bosses. Restored angel carvings to ridge and further wooden figures above capitals on which the roof posts are supported. Thomas Mors, clothier, in his will of 1500 requested burial in the N aisle which he had built and left money for the clerestory. Edward his son (d.1526) left money for the N chapel to be built in the form of the S chapel. John Constable view of church showing open-sided porch c.1798

Listing NGR: TM0522134610


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07933/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Kelvin Cuffy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].