CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1284161
Date first listed:
16-Mar-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1284161.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 15:14:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
Parish:
Boulge
National Grid Reference:
TM 25413 52865

Details

BOULGE TM 25 SE 3/24 Church of St Michael 16/3/66 and All Angels G.V. II Church. C16 tower, earlier fabric almost entirely rebuilt during alterations of 1853, 1857, 1867 and 1895. Brick, flint rubble and knapped flint with ashlar dressings and plain tile roof. Western tower, nave, chancel, south-eastern vestry and south-western chapel. Tower: west face: diagonal buttresses which die back into the angles via 3 offsets. Slightly projecting plinth with offset of moulded brick. Two-light C19 Perpendicular window to the centre with cinquefoil heads to the lights. String course between the ground and first floor stage. This latter has a lancet opening with chamfered ashlar surround. Two-light louvred opening to the belfry with Y-tracery of brick. Brick band below the battlemented parapet which has ashlar coping. South face: projecting buttress at right which is partially embedded in the western nave wall. Blank to the lower body but with a similar belfry opening to that in the western front. North face: similar save that the belfry opening is partially blocked with a smaller C19 opening with ashlar surround. Two cinquefoil-headed lights and quatrefoils to the apex. East face abuts the nave to its lower body but has a similar belfry opening to those seen on the west and north fronts. Nave and chancel: undifferentiated externally. North face: walling almost entirely rebuilt in C19. Single light at far right of Perpendicular form with quatrefoil head. To left of this is a reset Decorated doorway with a wave-moulded and chamfered ashlar surround with hood mould. To left again a Y-tracery window perhaps mirroring the form of an earlier window. Buttress to left of this which dies back into the wall by 2 offsets. To left again a 2-light Decorated window of curvilinear form with ogee heads to cusped lights and a quatrefoil to the apex. Along the top of the wall runs a dentilled band of 3 bricks depth. Eastern face: diagonal buttresses at left and right dying back to corners by 2 offsets. Stone band at level of lower buttress offset running across the wall and raised in the centre to form the sill to the window of 3 Perpendicular lights of C19 date perhaps following an earlier model, with plate tracery to the apex. South face: projecting gabled vestry at right with diagonal buttresses and a priest's door at centre above which is a rose window to the gable. Ashlar coping to the gable and central chimney-stack. To left of this is a 3- light Perpendicular C19 window with ogee heads and mouchettes above. To left of this the projecting gabled chapel with knapped flint walling, and diagonal buttresses. This has a doorway at right with ashlar surround and a 3-light window with reticulated tracery to the centre.

Interior: wagon roof with chamfered ribs, the chancel roof having square floral bosses to the intersections. Single tie beam dividing the nave and chancel with ovolo-moulds to the lower corners and brattishing to top. This supports a C19 crown post with moulded base and capital from which spring arched braces to the ceiling ribs. Supporting the tie beam are C19 arched braces which terminate in angel bosses holding shields. The chapel contains three C19 Gothic monuments to the Fitzgerald family having white marble tablets with ashlar surrounds one of which records the "restoration and enlargement of the church in 1857 in memory of Mary Frances Fitzgerald". Tournai font beneath the tower of c.1150 with square base decorated with waterleaf mouldings at the upper corners. Stout circular central shaft with cushion capital and base. Square bowl above this with roughly finished sides, the ornament having been hacked off, and circular basin. Sources:- Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, 1975 H Munro Cautley, Suffolk Churches, 1982

Listing NGR: TM2541352865

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
285387
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Munro Cautley, H, Suffolk Churches and their Treasures, (1937)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/08744/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Waller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].