CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1284200
Date first listed:
01-Jul-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1284200.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:01:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Boyton
National Grid Reference:
ST 95045 39566

Details

BOYTON BOYTON VILLAGE ST 93 NE (south side) 8/23 Church of St. Mary

GV I

Anglican parish church. Late C13, C14, C15, 1860 restoration by T.H. Wyatt. Flint and limestone chequers, ornamental tiled roof. Plan: nave, south chapel of c.1280, C14 north transept, 2-stage C15 north tower with entrance, north west vestry, chancel. North doorway has late C13 arch with attached shafts, heavily moulded with dogtooth ornament, possibly reset, double doors with highly ornamental hinges. Two-stage tower has 2-light Perpendicular window with louvres to offset bell-stage, string course to battlemented parapet. To right is lean-to vestry with C14 ogee-headed lancet and C19 ashlar stack. North transept to left of tower has good C14 3-light window with reticulated tracery and hoodmould, coped verges to gabled front, east side has two chamfered lancets and blocking course with pierced trefoils. Chancel has three lancets to north, diagonal buttresses and group of three C19 stepped lancets to east under pointed hoodmould, south side has chamfered pointed priest's doorway and lancet to either side. The south Giffard Chapel has very fine 3-light pointed east window with geometric tracery and hoodmould, angle buttresses, south side has three restored lancets with hoodmoulds, west end has large wheel window with three quatrefoils and three trefoils with small blind quatrefoil over. South side of nave has C19 window with hoodmould. West end has hollow-chamfered Tudor-arched doorway with square hoodmould with carved spandrels and lozenge labels, C19 door with ornamental hinges, 3-light Perpendicular window over. Interior: Porch below tower has double-chamfered pointed inner doorway, smaller pointed doorway to vestry. Nave has C19 4-bay arched-braced collar roof on foliated stone corbels, flagstone floors throughout. North transept has C19 2-bay arched-braced collar roof, ogee headed piscina on south wall, double ovolo- moulded pointed arch to nave. Giffard Chapel has especially fine C13 features; trefoiled piscina and three stepped sedilia with attached shafts and moulded pinnacles, deeply-splayed window openings with trefoil rere-arches, 2-bay double-chamfered arcade to nave with slender attached shafts, C19 2-bay arched-braced collar roof with end half-bays. In centre of chapel floor is chest tomb with cinquefoil blind arcading and moulded top; Lady Margaret Giffard died 1338, in arcade is recumbent effigy of Sir Alexander Giffard died 1250, but probably late C13 effigy. Chancel has C19 scissor rafter roof, C13 trefoiled piscina and three stepped sedilia with attached shafts; similar to Chapel, C19 Albany Hatchment on north wall, C17 style bench ends to choir stalls, east window contains fragments of medieval glass, assembled 1960 and possibly from Salisbury Cathedral. Elaborately carved wooden pulpit with hexagonal sounding board, of 1964. C13 cylindrical font at west end of nave. West window stained glass by Horwood of Mells, 1960 reset C17 and C18 roudels in Giffard Chapel glass, 1860s glass in north chapel. Several wall tablets to Fane family of Boyton Manor in Gifford Chapel. Giffard Chapel probably founded c.1280 by Walter and Godfrey Giffard, respectively Archbishop and Bishop of York. (N. Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975).

Listing NGR: ST9504439578

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
313240
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/00927/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Antony Barrington-Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].