CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS OF MIRA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1284230
Date first listed:
23-Mar-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS OF MIRA

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS OF MIRA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1284230.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:43:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS OF MIRA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Steeple Langford
National Grid Reference:
SU 04783 36620

Details

STEEPLE LANGFORD LITTLE LANGFORD SU 03 NW (north side) 2/87 Church of St. Nicholas of Mira 23.3.60. GV II* Anglican parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, restored 1864 by T.H. Wyatt. Chequered flint and limestone, tiled roof with coped verges and cross finials. Small church consisting of nave, south chapel and chancel with C20 bellcote and south doorway. Particularly fine Romanesque south doorway; round arch with billet, roll and irregular chevron ornament on attached shafts with symbolic carvings of horse-serpent and bird of prey to left and human figure to right, lintel has well-preserved carving of a boar hunt with dogs, boar and man, tympanum has symbolic carvings of beaded star preaching cross, bishop with staff and tree with birds, door is C19 with ornamental hinges. To left is C16-style 2-light window with hoodmould. South chapel has restored 3-light reticulated tracery window with hoodmould, chamfered lancet and reset Medieval coffin lid to east. Chancel has small chamfered light and restored square-headed C14 window with hoodmould, east end has restored 3- light pointed Perpendicular window with hoodmould. C19 lean-to vestry to north has cusped lancets and ashlar stack with offsets and reset carved stone heraldic arms of Henry Stourton and his wife Katherine Frampton, formerly on north porch, reset Medieval coffin lid on north wall of chancel. North side of nave has two C19 two- light square-headed cusped windows, reset scratch dial on buttress, cast-iron rainwater heads dated 1863. West end has three C14 stepped lancets with C14 cusped lancet over. C20 timber bellcote with short plain spire. Interior: Nave has 3-bay C19 arch-braced collar truss roof on stone corbels, flagstone floors. C14 double-chamfered chancel arch on square chamfered responds, squint to right between chancel and south chapel. South chapel with double-chamfered arch, some Medieval encaustic tiles survive below window, fine chest tomb with strapwork panels, initials IH and recumbent, partly damaged, effigy of William Haytor, died c1623, C12 'tongue-poker' carved face set on south wall, below ridge. Chancel has C19 scissor-rafter roof, Minton coloured tiled floor, C19 trefoil piscina and aumbry on north wall. C19 chamfered pointed niche on north wall containing freestanding Medieval carving of Crucifixion in the Roman style. C19 pews, pulpit and choir stalls, C12 bowl font reset on octagonal plinth, part of dado of former wooden chancel screen reused in reading desk. Good 1860's stained glass by Lavers and Barraud, the east window dedicated to Sidney, Lord Herbert of Wilton House. The 1864 restoration was paid for by Lady Herbert of Lea, widow of Sidney Lord Herbert; the builders were Davies and Son of Frome. (Salisbury F Winchester Journal, July 30th, 1864)

Listing NGR: SU0478336620

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
320522
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Salisbury and Winchester Journal' in 30 July, (1864)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/02994/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Antony Barrington-Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].