CHURCH OF ST ALDHEIM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1284263
Date first listed:
17-Aug-1981
Date of most recent amendment:
01-Jul-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ALDHEIM

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ALDHEIM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1284263.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 18:45:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ALDHEIM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bishopstrow
National Grid Reference:
ST 89511 43764

Details

BISHOPSTROW BISHOPSTROW VILLAGE ST 84 SE (off east side) Church of St. Aldhelm 3/1 (formerly listed as St Aldhelms Parish Church) 17.8.81 GV II*

Anglican parish church. C14, chancel of 1842, restored 1876 by Scott Champion. Dressed limestone, Welsh slate roof with ceramic ridge cresting. Consisting of nave, west tower with recessed spire, chancel and north east vestry. C19 pointed west doorway and door with highly ornamental hinges, C19 plate tracery and trefoiled lancets in chamfered pointed arch over. Three-stage C14 tower has diagonal buttresses, cusped lancets to second stage, offset bellstage has pair of cusped lancets with square hoodmoulds to each face, string course with gargoyles to battlemented parapet, recessed octagonal spire has crocketed capping. Restored nave has offset buttresses, string course at sill level, two 2-light Decorated style windows with hoodmoulds, reset early C18 bolection- moulded tablet. Chancel with more steeply pitched roof, two 2- light Decorated style windows with hoodmoulds, reset C17 wall tablet with good lettering, east end has diagonal buttresses and 4- light C19 window with flowing tracery and hoodmould, north side has one Decorated style window and lean-to vestry with cusped lancets and pointed doorway. North side of nave has two 2-light Decorated style windows as to south. Coped verges to roof, cross finials. Interior: Late C19 carved screen and double doors between porch in tower and nave; nave side has fine floral carving and traceried panels in tympanum of C14 cyma and hollow-chamfered arch with attached shafts. Former roof line visible on wall at west end of nave. Nave has 5-bay C19 roof with tie beam and cusped collar on foliated corbels. C19 cyma and hollow-chamfered chancel arch with fine Arts and Crafts wooden chancel screen in Perpendicular style, with fan coving. Three-bay chancel roof with arch-braced collar trusses on foliated corbels, C19 pointed doorway to vestry and pointed archway to organ chamber. Pulpit and font of 1877, C19 pews, brass communion rail, carved wooden reredos in same style as screen. C17 copper plaque on south wall of chancel to Elener(sic) Seaman died 1633, marble tablet on north side to Anne Fisher died 1783, classical marble to Temple family of Bishopstrow House (q.v.), 1840. Classical marbles in porch to Frances Elderton died 1829 and Benjamin Everett died 1816, Gothic marble and stone tablet to Griffith family, 1839 etc. East window stained glass by Hughes, 1879, north east window by Kempe, 1892 and some good unsigned glass in nave to Temple family, c.1875. Hanoverian Royal Arms in nave. Church rebuilt in 1757 and prior to chancel restoration of 1840 east end was apsidal, possibly Saxon. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975).

Listing NGR: ST8951143764

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
313218
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/02470/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Geraldine Bunn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].