CHURCH OF ST KATHERINE AND ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1284298
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST KATHERINE AND ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST KATHERINE AND ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1284298 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 23:19:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST KATHERINE AND ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Winterbourne Bassett
National Grid Reference:
SU 10138 74908

Details

SU 17 SW WINTERBOURNE BASSETT - 6/158 Church of St. Katherine & St. Peter 27.2.58 GV I Anglican parish church. C14, C15 and restored 1857-8 by Field and Hinton. Random sarsen with limestone dressings. Tower of limestone ashlar. Stone slate roofs. Nave with south porch, north transeptal chapel and north aisle. Chancel and west tower. Gabled porch of C14 with double hollow-chamfer mouldings opening to C15 inner door with double hollow-chamfers separated by round casement. North door to aisle ogee with fleurons in wide casement moulding. Nave windows 3 and 4-light square headed, the latter with ogee cinquefoiled lights. Aisle has 2-light C15 windows. Transept north window, a fine C14 reticulated 3-light window, and the chancel a full complement of C14 two-light curvilinear windows with mouchettes. East window a C19 reticulated copy. West tower of four stages, angle buttresses and north-east stair rising above the crenellated and pinnacled parapet. West door and 3-light window over, and 2-light bell openings. Numbered mass dial on south east quoin of chancel. Interior: Fourteenth century arcade of 3 bays, the mouldings continuous through to the bases. Elegant tall tower arch. Roof of 1857 of 3 bays. Arch from aisle to transept elaborated on transept side as is the east bay of the arcade. Transept has arch-braced side roof and trefoiled piscina. It was possibly the family chapel of the Despensers. Chancel arch moulded as arcade but raised on corbels with elongated shafts to lower corbels supported by male and queenly heads. Chancel well lit with wide rere-arches to windows. Trefoiled piscina with credence shelf. Priest's door on south side. Roof C19. Fittings: Font, under tower, early C13 drum with stiff-leaf decoration and spurred round base. Pulpit: C17 oak, with fielded panelling and frieze, restored in C19. Readers desk similar. Sanctuary rail Cl7 arcaded on turned columns with strapwork frieze, said to come from former pews. All pews at rear of church C17 low boxes. Furniture: A C17 table in transept, and chair with monoxylic ends. Monuments: In transept, north wall, three C18 wall monuments. White marble, raised central panel with cornice and broken ogee pediment, angels standing on top and central arms. Purple marble gadrooned base and carved apron. To Mary Baskerville of Richardston, died 1724. Long eulogy. Aedicule with segmental pediment with death's head, putto below. Grey panel to Margaret Baskerville, died 1696. North wall; a handsome wall tomb C14, ogee tracery below arch, carrying stands for figures, perhaps a crucifixus, with nodding ogee above but below a moulded arch. Within, and on floor, a charming limestone grave slab of late C13 with man and wife holding hands in low relief, below a trefoiled canopy. West wall; an unidentified painted heraldic crest In chancel: Three wall tablets, white marble pilastered panel on grey, urn over, arms below, to Elizabeth Tuckey, died 1809. White marble tablet on slate, to Horatio Nelson Budd, midshipman, died 1843, by Legg of Purton, and similar, to John Tuckey Budd, died 1831, by Franklin of Purton. In aisle; a C19 Kindred and Affinity board and two hatchments in roof of transept. Glass: Some C14-C15 fragments in head of north-west window of chancel. East window of 1926. (Pevsner, Buildings of England: Wiltshire)

Listing NGR: SU1013974905

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
311410
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/05233/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr B.J.W. Heath. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].