CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1284521
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1284521.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:20:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ogbourne St. George
National Grid Reference:
SU 19553 74692

Details

SU 17 SE OGBOURNE ST GEORGE - 7/76 Church of St. George 27.2.58 II* Anglican parish church. Late C12-early C13, C14, C15 and restored 1873 by T.H. Wyatt. Random flint and limestone, limestone dressings, and slate roofs with lead to aisles and porch. Nave, north and south aisles and south porch. Chancel and west tower. Porch C15 with moulded outer arch and low pitched parapet. Parallel buttresses. Sundial over arch and 2 mass dials. Good gargoyles. Inner door later C13 with crocketed nodding niche over. Two-light cinquefoiled windows to nave clerestory, 3 and 4- light C14 square headed windows to aisles. Chancel early C14 but largely rebuilt in 1873. Two-light windows and 3-light east window with reticulated tracery. South priest's door. Clasping buttress in south east corner. Tower of 3 stages with 3-light window over door and 2-light bell openings. Crenellated parapet with gargoyles. North aisle door reset. Interior: nave of 3 bays, double chamfered pointed arches on arcade of round columns, those on north with round capitals, on south carved with varied transitional leaf forms, probably reworked. West bay of north arcade added. C19 five-bay timber roof, the trusses supported on wall posts and corbels. Tall C15 tower arch. Opening for rood stair on north, trefoiled squint from south aisle opposite. Small niche in west wall. Chancel arch simply chamfered. Open C19 stained timber hammerbeam roof. Double recess on south side of sanctuary. Openings to aisle chapel on south, and to organ chamber, formerly chapel of the Holy Trinity endowed 1449, on north, this having corbel and piscina. Aisle roofs C19. Fittings: Font, on raised base of tower, C15, octagonal bowl with quatrefoiled panels. Pulpit late C19 with sunflower panels, on stone base. C19 sanctuary rail. Monuments: In nave, three C19 wall tablets, white marble on slate. North aisle has alabaster Great War memorial and C20 limestone tablet. Marble tablet in south aisle to John Canning, died 1841. Brass, by pulpit, two standing figures with inscribed panel under, to Thomas Goddard and wife, died 1607. In chancel painted panel with early Victorian royal arms and wings with painted commandments, C18 repainted C19. (VCH XII, 159; Pevsner: Buildings of England: Wiltshire)

Listing NGR: SU1955374692

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
311328
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Crowley, B A, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1983)
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01010/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Andy Domeracki. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].