CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1284675
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1284675.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:14:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Mendham
National Grid Reference:
TM 26963 82942

Details

MENDHAM THE STREET TM 28 SE 2/65 Church of All Saints - 29.7.55 -- I

Parish church. Medieval; restored 1868, chancel rebuilt c.1880. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble, the nave with red brick admixture at clerestory level; stone dressings. The nave and north aisle roofs are leaded, the south aisle roof has concrete tiles; slated chancel roof. C14 square tower with 2-light belfry openings and a crenellated parapet. C14 aisles, the windows with a mixture of Decorated and Perpendicular-style tracery. C15 porch of knapped flint, with flushwork panels to the front of the parapet; the enriched entrance arch and the 3 niches surrounding it were renewed in C19. The roof of the porch is largely original, with moulded main components and carved bosses. C15 south nave doorway. Late C15 4-bay clerestory with 3-light windows. Decorated-style chancel; 3-light east window with reticulated tracery. Interior. 4-bay aisle arcades, the north arcade the older. The chancel arch is formed by a pair of heavy moulded wooden arched braces. C15 4-bay nave roof with arched-braced cambered tie beams; the main members are moulded and the wallplate is enriched with fleurons and (in the easternmost bay) brattishing. The wall posts rest on C19 carved wooden corbels. There are small traces of original colouring. The chancel and aisle roofs are C19. Octagonal font of C14 date, each face of the bowl carved with a quatrefoil; 8 engaged columns to stem. The nave and aisles have an extensive set of poppyhead benches, installed 1868. Late C19 chancel stalls. Late C17 altar rails with twisted balusters. On the north chancel wall is a late C17 monument to members of the Freston family: a sagging inscription tablet is framed by pilasters, with an open segmental pediment above. Another C17 monument in the north aisle is to the Godbold family. In the south chancel a wall monument to Richard Freston (d.1722). Other C18 wall monuments commemorate members of the Rant family. Several C17 ledger slabs in chancel. Arms of George III over tower arch.

Listing NGR: TM2696382942

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
280014
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/11361/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].