- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- MANOR HOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1284800 .pdf
This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 10:49:11.
- Statutory Address:
- MANOR HOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 34262 98258
BUCKLAND BUCKLAND PARK
2/51 Manor House
Manor House now house. c.1580 for the Yate family; converted c.1757 by Sir Robert Throckmorton into Gothick style stables to Buckland House (q.v.). Squared and coursed limestone ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof. Double-pile plan dates from c.1757 conversion. 2 storeys; 9-bay elevation between polygonal corner turrets. The crenellated parapet is carried in a shallow arch over the centre 3 projecting bays; pointed arch and two orders of engaged columns to high central arch, with C20 double doors and overlights in a flat-headed moulded architrave. Doorways in 2nd, 6th and 8th bays have roll-moulded pointed arches over late C19 stable doors with Y-tracery overlights. Pointed arches to 2-light Y-tracery Gothick windows; 2 quatrefoil windows on the first floor flank the central archway. Moulded plinth and string course; trefoil-headed and corbelled frieze to moulded cornice; crenellated parapet. Polygonal towers at corners have similar Gothick windows, those on the front retain their diamond-shaped leaded panes and the blind side windows retain painted imitation latticing, the 3rd storey of each tower has quatrefoil windows and is surmounted by a similar cornice and parapet to the main range. Mid C18 rainwater goods. Gabled M-shaped roof; internal stacks, gable end and ridge stacks to rear. Right side wall has a 5-window range of late C16 two-light stone mullioned and chamfered windows, a mid C18 Gothick style 2-light window with leaded lights and two leaded quatrefoil lights at the top; also a late C19 stable door with mid C18 chamfered stone architrave with two overlights. The left side wall has scattered fenestration of 4 similar late C16 windows, two of which have been blocked, a mid C18 Gothick style 2-light window and a mid C18 six-panelled door flanked by 2 similar late C16 one-light windows. Each side wall has a parapet running from the top of the polygonal corner tower towards the rear where the wall is gabled. To the centre of the rear elevation is an Elizabethan 12-light canted bay window of stone mullioned and transomed and ovolo-moulded lights, which is flanked by similar 2-light windows. To left and right of this bay are mid C18 Gothick windows with Y-tracery, some of which have been blocked. (Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.l06; A.S.N. Wright, The History of Buckland, 1966, p.66).
Listing NGR: SU3426298258
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 106
Wright, A S N , The History of Buckland, (1966), 66
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing