CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1284943
Date first listed:
18-Jul-1963
Date of most recent amendment:
18-Aug-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, SOUTHEND

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1284943.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:35:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, SOUTHEND

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Garsington
National Grid Reference:
SP 58060 02017

Details

SP 5802 8/51 18/07/63

GARSINGTON SOUTHEND(West side)Church of St Mary

GII* Church.C.1200,C.1300,C14 restored C.1850,Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings;some Westmorland slate roofs.Four-bay aisled nave with chancel,west tower and south porch.Chancel of C.1300 has three two-light windows each side with Y-tracery,the western pair lower with transoms;three-light east window with intersecting tracery,and priests door in south wall.Two-light square headed side windows of nave have oggee tracery.Reticulated tracery in west windows of aisles.Three-light east window to south aisle has lobed tracery.Stage Transitional tower of C.1200 has at the lower stage,clasping buttresses and round-headed west window with pointed outer arch and detached shafts,plain lancets to the second stage,and pairs of lancets to each face of the top stage with outer roll-mouled arches on detached shafts and linked hood-moulds,below a decayed corbel table.Interior:C14 nave arcades of two chamfered orders under hood-moulds-round piers to north and later octagonal piers to south.Sexfoil clerestory lights have three-centred rear arches.Tower arch has shafts and stiff-leaf capitals.Chancel arch,probably all roofs,wooden south porch,winged parapet gargoyles and much rebuilding,particularly of the north aisle,date from a thorough restoratin of 1849 by Joseph Clarke.Woodwork all C19 except for barley twist communion rail in south aisle and C15 screen re-set in tower arch.Glass:Armorial panels of 1845 by J.H.Russell;east window of 1883,brought from Church of St.Giles,Oxford.Monuments:Mutilated floor slab C.1300;brass 1484;C18 wall tablets to members of Wickham and Sadler families;shallow relief profile of Lady Ottoline Morrell(died 1938)said to be by Eric Gill.(V.C.H. Oxfordshire,V,pp.154-6;Buildings of England:Oxfordshire pp.610-11).

Listing NGR: SP5806002017

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
246439
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 610-11
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957), 154-6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/06352/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pauline Roenisch. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].