Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1285304.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:57:23.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 82631 56774



6/261 Church of St Mary



Anglican parish church. C15, C18, 1861 chancel rebuilding. Dressed limestone, and ashlar, stone slate nave roof, Welsh slate chancel roof, octagonal stone stack. Plan: West tower, nave with south porch, chancel with north organ chamber and vestry. C19 south porch wth segmental-headed double ribbed doors, coped verge with cross finial, 1622 tablet possibly reset. Nave has chamfered pointed C18 window to left, memorial tablet to Tillie family, large segmental-headed C18 window with central mullion to right, large pedimented tablet with illegible inscription to right, buttress with offsets, stone eaves cornice. Lean-to with pointed ribbed door against south side of chancel. Chancel has 3-light Perpendicular east window, no north or south windows. C19 organ chamber to north has 2-light Perpendicular east window, 3-light to north and reset C17 tablet to west side. North side of nave has moulded pointed doorway and C18 deeply chamfered pointed window to right. Three-stage C15 tower has diagonal buttresses, string courses and moulded plinth; moulded Tudor-arched west doorway with 3-light Perpendicular window over, middle stage has single arched light to west and south sides, bellstage with 2-light louvred Perpendicular windows, cornice with gargoyles to battlemented parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles, pyramidal stone slate roof. Polygonal stair turret on north side has arrowloops. Interior. Porch has C18 inner doorway with segmental head with dropped keystone, ribbed door. Nave has C18 shallow barrel-vaulted ceiling with wooden ribs and dentil cornice. C19 west gallery with cusped panelled front on wooden posts, partly filling moulded pointed tower arch with attached shafts. Pair of Tudor-arched moulded arches lead into organ chamber and vestry; C19 collar truss roof. Chancel has coved plaster ceiling with three rib- panelled bays, C20 panelled dado. Other fittings: pews with poppy heads probably early C20, C19 pulpit with traceried panels, square stone font with unusual fluted bowl, Commandment boards flanking east window of chancel, C17 parish chest fixed to south nave wall. Monuments: 1663 pedimented tablet to Christopher Baylie reset in vestry. Fine monument in nave to John Bayley died 1665 with twisted columns and entablature and broken segmental pediment, draped marble tablet to Edward Wadman died 1742. In the chancel classical black and white marble tablets to Thomas Morris died 1818 by Reeves of Bath, to Reverend Edward Spencer died 1819. Several C19 brass tablets to Copland Griffiths and Caillard families; the latter lived at Wingfield House (q.v.). (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: ST8263156774


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/07058/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Witherow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].