CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1285556
Date first listed:
13-Nov-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, MONKTON FARLEIGH VILLAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1285556.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:33:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, MONKTON FARLEIGH VILLAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Monkton Farleigh
National Grid Reference:
ST 80613 65269

Details

ST 86 NW MONKTON FARLEIGH MONKTON FARLEIGH VILLAGE (west side)

2/139 Church of St Peter

13-11-62

GV II*

Anglican parish church. C12, C13, C17, 1844 rebuilding by T.H. Wyatt, restored 1874. Rubble stone with dressed limestone chancel, stone slate roof with coped verges and cross finials. Plan: west tower, aisleless nave, with north porch and south vestry, C19 chancel. Gabled porch with double chamfered pointed doorway with original studded and ledged door, coped verge. Nave has two C19 pointed windows either side of porch, C19 buttresses with offsets. C13-style chancel of 1844 has two trefoiled lancets to north side, diagonal buttress and 3-light pointed window to east end. Vestry attached to south side of chancel said to be 1829 Sunday School; two 3-light mullioned windows with elliptical arched lights and hoodmoulds, stone stack on west gable end over gabled stone porch. South side of nave has four 2-light C19 pointed windows and one cusped lancet with hoodmould to right. Two-stage tower, possibly C12, has angle buttresses, chamfered lancet to west side, bellstage has pair of roll-moulded round-headed lights with latticed stone louvres, possibly C12 string course to plain parapet and corbel table on north and south side, saddleback roof. Interior: Porch with fixed stone benches, inner C12 doorway with chevron ornament to round arch, scalloped capital to left hand shaft, right shaft has capital with mask, inserted Tudor-arched doorway with double planked doors. Save has 5-bay C19 deep arch- braced collar truss roof on stone corbels, polychrome tiled floor, ashlar-lined walls. Narrow double-chamfered tower arch with wrought iron gates and octagonal C19 stone font with painted floral decoration and carved rosettes. C19 pointed chancel arch on attached shafts, chancel has 2-bay deep arch-braced collar truss roof similar to nave roof, small restored chamfered pointed piscina on south wall and trefoiled aumbry on north wall, segmental pointed door to vestry. C17 communion table with turned legs. C19 mosaic reredos and C19 communion rail in brass and wood. Other fittings: good C17 octagonal pulpit with arched panels and lozenges, reset on C19 stone plinth, linenfold panelling behind. C19 nave and chancel seating. Some more reset linenfold panelling behind organ on west wall on nave. Stained glass mostly of 1860s and 1870s and north window in chancel of 1905, signed J. Bell and Son, Bristol, in memory of Charles and Elizabeth Kendall; she died 1904. Three bells dated 1623, 1724 and 1783. Good collection of C17, C18 and C19 tablets. Chancel examples include stone tablet to Sara Grant died 1602, cartouche to children of Rev Richard Ford, late C17, pedimented tablet with fluted pilasters to Mary Sartain died 1712, bolection-moulded tablet to William Watson. Nave tablets include bolection-moulded tablet to Mary Hayward, died 1717, shaped tablet to Jane, Elizabeth and Susanna Cottle died 1754, 1765 and 1769, stone tablet with good lettering to Thomas Butler died 1713, several C19 black and white marble including one to Wade Browne died 1851 signed by Gaffin of London. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 7, 1953; Church Guide)

Listing NGR: ST8061365269

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
314585
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Church of St Peter Church Guide
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
Pugh, RB, Crittall, E, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1953)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/05987/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Graham Hill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].