CHURCH OF ST JOHN OF JERUSALEM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1285594
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN OF JERUSALEM, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN OF JERUSALEM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1285594.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:32:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN OF JERUSALEM, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Winkburn
National Grid Reference:
SK 71174 58310

Details

SK 75 NW WINKBURN CHURCH LANE (north side)

4/147 Church of St. John of Jerusalem 11.8.61

G.V. I

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C16, tower rebuilt C17, re-roofed 1853. Dressed coursed rubble, render to all but tower and part of porch. Slate roofs. East nave and chancel coped. Buttressed. Tower, nave, south porch and chancel. Diagonally buttressed embattled tower with single C19 crocketed pinnacles at the angles. Set on a plinth, chamfered to the south, of 3 stages with bands. West side has a single arched C14 window with 2 arched and cusped lights. Above is a single blocked lozenge shaped opening. The north side has a single rectangular light and above a single recessed panel w th decoratively carved surround inscribed "New Built Ano Domi 16.2 William B.... Thomas W...." The south side has 2 rectangular lights. The 4 C12 arched bell chamber openings are decorated with chevron to jambs and arch on the west side, the north side with chevron decoration remaining to jambs only. The south side has cable moulding to jambs and arch, and the east side cable moulding to arch, chevron to jambs and inner arches. The inner arches of the other 3 openings with worn decoration. Over the south opening is a single rectangular blind panel and below the east opening is a raised and stepped band. The north nave has a single segmental arched light under a flat arch. To the left is a single C16 window with 2 arched lights under a flat arch, further left is a single C17 2 light window with single ashlar mullion under a flat arch. The north chancel has a Caernarvon arched doorway and to the left a single C14 window with 2 ogee arched and cusped lights, reticulated tracery, flat arch, hood mould and label stops. The east end is set on a plinth and has a single diagonal buttress to the south. Single arched restored window with 3 arched and cusped lights, hood mould and label stops. Under extends a sill band which continues under the south chancel windows. South chancel set on a plinth with 2 C14 restored windows each with 2 ogee arched and cusped lights, reticulated tracery, hood mould and label stops. To the right of the left window is an ashlar memorial to Eliza Parker, 1700, surmounting the inscription is an arched head flanked by single decorative scrolls with entablature. To the left of this window is a single rectangular recessed blind panel. The south nave has a single restored C16 window with 2 arched lights under a flat arch. To the left is a single arched C14 window with 2 arched and cusped lights. Gabled and coped porch with kneelers, chamfered arched entrance with imposts and hood mould. Inner C12 doorway decorated with varying worn beakheads to jambs and arch, hood mould with grotesque label stops, C17 door. To the right is a blocked stoup. To the left of the porch is a single C13 lancet and in the narrow west wall a single blocked arched panel. Interior. Re-set C12 tower arch, jambs and voussoirs decorated with chevron and zigzag, with arch now blocked with C18 wooden panel with doorway. The nave and chancel are divided by a C17 screen with octagonal wooden columns, 3 round arches and open traceried spandrels. C17 circular ashlar font and pedestal. Pulpit with C17 decorative panels and tester. Late C17 barley sugar altar rails further decorated with stylised leaves. Opposite the south doorway is a pew with similarly decorated balusters, remaining are C18 box pews. Decoratively carved C17 chest, C17 altar table. In the east chancel is a good monument to William Burnell, probably 1609, consisting of a large kneeling figure with sword set into a recess. The inscription beneath is flanked by single decorative fluted brackets which support shaped urns and Doric columns with architrave over surmounted by further inscription and entablaturd surmounted by decorative shields. There is a further good monument to D'Arcy Burnell, 1774. This has the inscription flanked by decorative pilasters, above is a central pedestal decorated with a shield and surmounted by an urn. On the left side of the pedestal is a large figure of Death holding a torch and on the right side a large figure of Fame holding a portrait of Burnell. In the south chancel is a tomb chest, 1570, with inset carved figure with shield above the head. In the south nave is a monument to Mary Pegge Burnell, 1815. There are several C17 and C18 floor slabs, that to D'Arcy Burnell, 1727, in the nave is decorated with a shield surmounted by a lion. Over the chancel screen is a 1764 Royal Arms. The south nave has a board with script from Exodus Chap. XX. 1199- 1382, there was a camera of the Knights Hospitaller here.

Listing NGR: SK7117658309

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
242203
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16250/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Mollie Toy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].