CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1285622
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1285622.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 01:08:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Oxton
National Grid Reference:
SK 63012 51398

Details

SK 65 SW OXTON MAIN STREET (east side)

6/141 Church of St.Peter and St.Paul 11.8.61 G.V. I

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C18, C19, restored 1898. Ashlar, dressed coursed rubble. Slate roofs, the south aisle being hipped. Coped porch, east nave and east chancel, nave and porch also with kneelers and nave with single decorative ridge cross. Single external stacks to south side of east nave and west of north aisle. Tower, nave, aisles, north porch, north vestry and chancel. Diagonally buttressed late C14 tower of 2 stages with bands, set on a plinth with damaged moulded band over and embattled with remains of single corner pinnacles. The west side has a single arched C14 window with 3 arched and cusped lights, reticulated tracery and hood mould. The 4 C14 bell chamber openings each have 2 arched and cusped lights and cusped tracery. Under the north and south openings are single clock faces. The south and north sides have single rectangular lights. The north aisle, widened in the late C19, has in the west wall a single cavetto moulded C19 rectangular window. The buttressed aisle is set on a shallow plinth and has a re-set C13 chamfered pointed arched doorway with hood mould. The single flanking buttresses support a wood and slate gabled hood. To the left is a single C19 4 light window with ashlar mullions. The early C19 clerestory has 3 C19 rectangular windows with cavetto moulded surrounds. The C19 vestry is set on a shallow plinth and has in the east wall a single pointed arched window with hood mould and label stops. The dressed coursed rubble C12 chancel is buttressed to the north, which was rebuilt in the C19 and has a single restored C14 3 light window with arched and cusped lights, cusped tracery, hood mould and flat arch. The east chancel has a single restored C14 arched window with 3 arched and cusped lights, cusped tracery and hood mould. The buttressed south chancel has a single restored C13 lancet with hood mould. To the left is a chamfered pointed arched C13 doorway with hood mould and right label stop. Projecdting from the far left is a C20 breeze block and slate lean-to with inner single rectangular 2 light window with single ashlar mullion. The south aisle, enlarged in the early C18, has in the east wall a single restored C18 segmental arched 4 light window with ashlar mullions. The south wall is buttressed and has a single similar window. The C19 porch to the left is set on a plinth and has a cavetto moulded arched entrance with C20 door. Over is a shield with carved cross. Inner round arched doorway with panelled C18 double door. The west wall of the aisle is set on a plinth and has a single similar 4 light window. A rainwater head here dated 1898. The south clerestory corresponds to the north. Interior. Three and a half bay early C14 nave arcades with octagonal columns and east responds, double chamfered arches and hood moulds to the nave side. Tower arch double chamfered to arch only. C12 unmoulded chancel arch with imposts and hood mould, the east side with flush relieving arch over. North aisle/north vestry chamfered segmental arch and north vestry/chancel arch now with organ. In the south chancel is a blocked round arched C12 window, below left is the blocked priest's doorway. In the north chancel is a small aumbry. Low chancel screen with decoratively carved and plain C17 panelling and small barley twist balusters further decorated with carved figures. C18 panelled reredos with some C19 decorative panels to centre. Reconstructed C13 octagonal ashlar font and pedestal. There is a C12 pillar piscina. C17 pulpit with decorative panelling. Choir stalls erected 1925 using decoratively carved C17 panelling, further decorated with carved heads. Many C18 panelled box pews, the remainder C19. Some C18 panelling to the south aisle. C18 turned altar rails. Chair with C17 decoratively carved back. C17 communion table with turned legs. Prie-dieu using C17 decoratively carved panel, further carved with figures. In the north aisle is a reclining C14 figure said to be Robert de Nottingham with feet resting on a dog, the remains of angels support the head and a worn instription around the edge. Adjacent to this is a carved head and a small bowl, both ashlar. In the nave floor is a brass plaque to William Savile, 1681. A board in the north chancel details "Donations to the poor of the parish of Oxton" and a board in the tower details the benefaction of Mr. James Harvey, 1835. There are 5 hatchments in the nave. In the south aisle is a George II Royal Arms altered to George III.

Listing NGR: SK6300851395

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
242197
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12422/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Eric Ritchie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].